Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet connection  (Read 12091 times)

guaranteed

internet connection
« on: October 02, 2006, 01:51:47 PM »
I am having a problem getting access to the internet with onboard NIC or PCI additional NIC.
Compaq Presario S4120WM
Windows XP Home SP 2
256 Megs DDR
80 Gig HD
1.2 GHTZ

I am unable to connect to Internet through either on-board NIC or Second Installed PCI NIC.
System did have virus found by AVG and removed.
Ran hijack this and removed what I was told to take out.
Ran Windows Defender and Adaware and removed all items as well
Ran CCCleaner and removed all temp and other files.
Ran CWSHredder as well.
Installed new drivers for onboard, same problem,
Turned off in bios and installed another NIC (PCI), same problem.
Tried to renew IPconfig but got  error " No operation can be performed on local area connection 5 while it has its media disconnected" Dont understand that error but certainly a clue.
I then installed a USB NIC and was able to connect to internet as normal.
I re-installed WIndows by using Compaq restore from the D partition and all installed with out problem but connection problem still exists. The new install was not destructive so all files outside of main windows files were not harmed.
Was not wanting to make a clean install as Im not sure how to this Compaq restore as I have no CD from them.
The Virus that was on the system was TH Backdoor Agent 4 BT if that makes a difference.
Hopefully I have explained my trouble shooting proceedure to this point clearly. Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: internet connection
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 02:18:36 PM »
Personally, I would take down details of all your hardware (LAN, sound, graphics, etc.) find out if the drivers are available, download them, burn them to CD, then do a total reformat reinstall of your computer with a normal XP CD.

The "media disconnected" can mean that the drivers are installed but the network card is not found.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »
Has it ever worked?

What does the device manager tell you?

I'd recommend a reformat as well after a virus attack - what kind of recovery CD's did you get with your Compaq?

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 12:51:58 AM »
    what is the output of: ipconfig /all
    Did you check the cable?