Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird interference on headphone output  (Read 4700 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Weird interference on headphone output
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:36:04 AM »
Hey all -

I watch DVD's and downloaded TV through my laptop on my television. I use the S-Video output, and have a Y-connecter that plugs into my headphone jack and splits into two RCA audio plugs. Has worked like a charm for quite a while.

Had to reformat my HD, and now when I plug in, I get a weird buzzing sound through the television's speakers. It doesn't happen on headphones, just through the TV's speakers. The sound (dialog, music) still outputs fine, it's just got this extra layer of buzzzz.

Here's the kicker - when the machine is running on its battery, it's fine. It's only an issue when running off of AC. And, yes, I have used THIS machine with THESE cables through THIS power outlet and not had this problem. The ONLY delta is the reformatting of my HD.

I've updated all drivers off the Dell website... So I don't know what it could be. Thoughts?

Thanks!

rjb
=====

Dell Inspiron 6000
XP SP2
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Weird interference on headphone output
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:48:13 AM »
    "...I have used THIS machine with THESE cables through THIS power outlet and not had this problem."

Gotcha  ;)

Just for grins  ;D have you tried another outlet?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:54:23 AM »
    Yes.

It's the same circuit, however... (Short of running a 50' extension cord, it would have to be the same circuit).

Sorry - tried to head off all the "Did you try soapy water?" questions....
    Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »
    Yes.

It's the same circuit, however... (Short of running a 50' extension cord, it would have to be the same circuit).

Sorry - tried to head off all the "Did you try soapy water?" questions....

Did you try getting drivers from the soundcard manufacturer's website instead of the ones Dell supplied you with?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:14:43 PM »
    No, I didn't.  

In Device Manager=>Sound, video, and game controllers, I have the following options:
    • Audio Codecs
    • Legacy Audio Drivers
    • Legacy Video Capture Devices
    • Media Control Devices
    • SigmaTel C-Major Audio
    • Video Codecs
    What to do from there???

Thanks!

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:17:16 PM »
    Nevermind,

Audio Codecs and Integrated Audio Support

* SigmaTel is not a sound card manufacturer, we design and produce integrated circuits directly for manufacturers.
        * Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions, we are unable to provide drivers to end-user's.
        * All end-user technical support, including drivers, should be directed to the product manufacturer.

Have you tried using a previous version of your soundcard driver?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 12:39:57 PM »
    I somehow don't have the original Dell Drivers CD that came with my machine... So I had to DL off of Dell's website. Is there a place where stuff like that could be archived?

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 01:04:39 PM »
    I ran Everest and got the following:

Multimedia-> Windows Audio->
    midi-out.0    0001 0066        Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
    mixer.0       0001 0068        SigmaTel C-Major Audio
    wave-in.0     0001 0065        SigmaTel C-Major Audio
    wave-out.0    0001 0064        SigmaTel C-Major Audio

and

Multimedia> PCI/PnP Audio-> Intel 8280 1FBM ICH6-M AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]                                              PCI

Doe that help anything?
    « Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 01:05:20 PM by rjbinney »

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »
    No, not really.

I'm no expert on sound, I'd try to find out if Dell knows about this problem and if they have a solution. Or perhaps try contacting Sigmatel as well.

Rolling back the drivers, if you can find them, I don't know if Dell archives them, is one plan. The other is going over all your sound and audio device settings in the control panel to make sure it's not set too loud which could cause interference.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 04:04:59 PM »
    The other is going over all your sound and audio device settings in the control panel to make sure it's not set too loud which could cause interference.
    Wouldn't explain the contrast between battery power and AC power.

But thanks for suggesting I try to get help from Dell - I just spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 04:09:07 PM »
    Maybe it has to do with power saving. Try working with different power saving schemes.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 04:53:29 PM »
    Brilliant suggestion - but made no difference.

I also discovered that it is independent of the computer's volume. Regardless of what the volume is, as soon as you plug it into the jack you get the buzz.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 05:53:16 PM »
    OK, here's the deal. When the coax from the wall to the cable box is disconnected, the buzzing goes away.

So the buzzing is present when the computer is plugged in AND cable is connected.

If I disconnect from either the wall or the cable box, it goes away.

If I put the computer on battery power, it goes away.

Very strange.

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 06:59:23 PM »
    All drivers for any Dell ever made are on their website. These are even preferable to a driver CD from Dell, because they are likely updated.

If you think this is a Dell problem, post in the appropriate Dell support forum.

It sounds like an electrical interference/line noise problem however, based on the info given.

May Fed or Homer, our resident electricians, can help out.  ;)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 02:27:07 PM »
    Bump.