Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Issue  (Read 13296 times)

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Wireless Issue
    « on: October 06, 2006, 02:37:19 PM »
    I've set up quite a few wireless networks without a hitch.  There is one thing that consistantly stumps me   >:(

When setting up the router (Netgear, Linksys, whatever) and same-type wireless card = no problem (either w/wo WEP/WPA).  Everybody plays nice  ;D

However...whenever I try setting up either the Windoze wireless or, like today, Intel wireless software, even though it sees the SSID, the right passphrase put in and the set up is infrasructure, it connects to the WAP but doesn't get an IP.  Try doing a 'repair' or ipconfig release/renew, no luck :-(

Today's problem laptop had McAfee running and I ran out of time trying to diagnose the issue.

Any pointers on how to overcome this issue as I know I'll run into it again?

Thanks

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

GX1_Man

Re: Wireless Issue
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:48:42 PM »
    Set up all of the networking before enabling WEP, firewalls, etc. Once connections are good, THEN introduce one variable at a time to see if it is working. Just the hardware firewall from the router will keep you safe for that short project. If there is a problem with connectivity you will know exactly where to go to fix it.  ;)
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 08:49:22 PM by GX1_Man »

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:07:52 AM »
      "Set up all of the networking before enabling WEP, firewalls, etc. Once connections are good, THEN introduce one variable at a time to see if it is working. Just the hardware firewall from the router will keep you safe for that short project. If there is a problem with connectivity you will know exactly where to go to fix it"

Thanks GX1_Man.  That's exactly how I initially set up a wireless system, without any security to make sure connectivity is there and properly working.  I then introduce WEP @ the router and go to each machine, reconnect using the passphrase, then verify I'm connected.

Right now they're the only wireless in the neighborhood so it's relatively safe.  I live in a mountain community so there aren't too many 'hacker savvy' people to cause mischief.  Each of the pc's have a/v & a/s software and only share the internet connection, no files/folders/printers.  The laptop in question comes home once a week from college (accompanied by a student  ;D), so I'll have to wait until next weekend to try something else.

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:29:05 AM »
      Make sure your router is updated to the latest firmware.  Other than that, this is the kind of low level problem that may require detailed packet analysis.  I'm not fully up to speed on that yet.  Tricky stuff.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 11:33:36 AM »

However...whenever I try setting up either the Windoze wireless or, like today, Intel wireless software, even though it sees the SSID, the right passphrase put in and the set up is infrasructure, it connects to the WAP but doesn't get an IP.  Try doing a 'repair' or ipconfig release/renew, no luck Sad

I believe that if you fill out the wrong passphrase it simply won't connect but it won't let you know either.

Try using WPA2 personal + AES and fill out '1234567890abc' as a passphrase.

That works for me everytime, I might sound like a complete newbie right now, but I can't get any other bloody pass phrases to work. I must be jinxed.  :P

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        « Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 01:11:04 PM »
        Thanks Rob.   ;)

Raptor:
        "I believe that if you fill out the wrong passphrase it simply won't connect but it won't let you know either"

I was able to connect to the WAP but didn't get Internet connectivity.  As stated earlier I tried 3x KNOWING I typed in the right passphrase, no luck  :-[

I'll get back to these folks next week and try typing in the key generated from WEP, not the passphrase and see what happens.

I'll post back when I resolve the issue.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 03:33:42 PM »
        I was able to connect to the WAP but didn't get Internet connectivity.  As stated earlier I tried 3x KNOWING I typed in the right passphrase, no luck  embarrassed

Try a different passphrase with a different length. You may need to write in either hexadecimal or ASCII, depending on what your software/firmware supports..

downundersteve

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 08:50:06 PM »
        Hi
        I had exactly the issue with a Dell laptop & a Billion router.
        As soon as I tried to connect with WPA-PSK it would not connect.

I contacted Dell & Billion several times but neither could help even after several factory resets and walkthoughts.

Dell put it down to incompatability between my router & the intel card in the dell.
        It still doesn't work, I'm going to but a different router eventually.

Do a serch on google about known incompatability issues.

Maybe it's not this but worth a quick look for you.
        Steve