Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do you change the Language?  (Read 11180 times)

Silencer_RPMs

How do you change the Language?
« on: October 07, 2006, 04:21:35 PM »
ok i'm trying to change the language to my computer to spanish so i can send it to my cousin in mexico. i tried the "regional and language settings", but it only converts some text. so i called microsoft and they said go to support.microsoft.com. i did and all i can find was the Language Interface packs. after i proved that my comp was genuine it only offers a readme file. but i can't find anywhere to download this stuff. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Raptor

Re: How do you change the Language?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 05:22:40 PM »
You can't. All versions of Windows are localized.

The only way you can ever change the language is by either buying a copy of windows XP in that particular language or by buying a newlaptop that comes with software that does allow you to choose the language...

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:19:03 PM »
Call Microsoft back and tell them Raptor told you that.  :o

Silencer_RPMs

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 02:24:51 AM »
*censored* microsoft. lol they assured me, but what would they know. thanks raptor

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 04:36:00 AM »
Call Microsoft back and tell them Raptor told you that.  :o

What? Am I wrong? I don't think so.  :-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 06:31:04 AM »
No, you are correct sir. Run the kill!  ;)

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 06:45:58 AM »
No, you are correct sir. Run the kill!  ;)

I have a better idea. Phone Microsoft and tell them to run the kill!  ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 08:27:18 AM »
They have already done that. Hven't you heard of Vista?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 08:38:31 AM »
They have already done that. Hven't you heard of Vista?

;D ;D ;D ;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 12:46:10 PM »
Whoa here, bad advice given.  Shame Raptor, shame GX1_MAN, shame patio.  You are all sentenced to 12 hours in the guillotine, the one right out there on main street.  Win XP (English) definitely does support other languages: List of languages supported in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.  

Last year, a Korean friend who is a US resident has a relative visiting from Korea.  He wanted to send email to Korea, in Korean.  I researched the issue and learned that, indeed, Korean and many other languages can be installed on Win XP.  I tested the procedure on my computer and after successfully installing Korean, I did the same on her computer.  I had removed Korean but reinstalled it after reading this post.  Note that this did not involve downloading anything.  As I recall, I did have to insert my Win XP CD the first time I installed Korean.  I'll type a few Korean characters in this message; I realize they may not display properly on your computer.  Here goes: [ch48141] [ch12615] [ch12615] [ch12623] [ch12599] [ch12623] [ch12643] [ch12616] [ch12640].

The Korean visitor mentioned above had a keyboard guide and had also used an English keyboard in Korea, so he was able to compose email in Korean.  

Installing Korean, or any foreign language, adds a language bar which appears in the Notification area, or it can be positioned at the top of the desktop screen.  It allows the user to switch back and forth between languages by simply clicking on the toolbar.  Here an image with it placed at top of the screen:

I tried installing Spanish and it did appear in the language bar.  However, I saw no change in actual characters typed from my keyboard.  I briefly searched for some info and found a reference indicating a keyboard change is needed.  See The easiest way I know of to write in Spanish with Windows XP
.  I did not pursue that further, but this will at least give Silencer RPMs some info with which  to proceed.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 01:10:23 PM by soybean »

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 03:22:16 PM »
I'd very much like to use my copy of Windows XP in French, how do I go about doing that, Soybean?!

Edit: After a second thought:

What you're showing me is the keyboard input language... Not translation the entire Operating System to Korean.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:29:04 PM by Raptor »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 03:34:08 PM »
Raptor French will cause you to Oui Oui. :-?

Run the kill!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:35:24 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 04:36:06 PM »
I'd very much like to use my copy of Windows XP in French, how do I go about doing that, Soybean?!

Edit: After a second thought:

What you're showing me is the keyboard input language... Not translation the entire Operating System to Korean.

Oops, I see I mis-understood the original post. :-[   When I wrote my reply, I was thinking  he just wanted to send email to his cousin in Mexico.  But, having read it again, he apparently wants to actually ship the computer.  You are relieved of the sentencing to the guillotine.   :) :-[

You are correct about the installation I explained being the keyboard input language.  With it installed, Korean will appear in any application (Word, Notepad, Wordpad, Outlook Express, etc.).  But, Windows still displays menus, icons, etc., in English.

French is one of the language options for keyboard input language, if you want to do that.

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 05:46:50 PM »
We accept your apology and understand your exuberance.

Run the kill.  ;)

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 11:36:01 PM »
We accept your apology and understand your exuberance.

Run the kill.  ;)

;D

No problem, Soybean.