Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blank screen for 30 seconds before Windows boots  (Read 9538 times)

michaeld

Blank screen for 30 seconds before Windows boots
« on: October 11, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »
Hi,

I'm having a strange problem; after going through the BIOS, my computer shows a blank screen for 30 seconds before the Windows loading screen appears.

It's custom built with the following components:

Shuttle XPC SN95G5 barebone
AMD 3500+ processor
2gb OCZ RAM
GeForce 6200 256mb gfx

Up until now I had assumed it was a problem with the graphics card. But I replaced my old graphics card yesterday, and the problem is still occuring. So it's not the graphics card...

Furthermore, as far as I noticed it doesn't seem to happen when I have Vista RC1/RC2 installed. Does this point to it being a problem with my copy of XP?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Michael

Raptor

Re: Blank screen for 30 seconds before Windows boo
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:15:52 PM »
Set back whatever you changed in the BIOS.

michaeld

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:33:02 PM »
Sorry, I meant after it gets past the BIOS stuff when it checks the RAM and stuff. I haven't changed anything in the BIOS...

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »
Ah, you mean the POST.

Have you tried setting your BIOS to the default values?

What mainboard do you have and what are your system specifications? Any problems in Windows?

michaeld

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Yes I did mean the POST!

- Resetting BIOS to default settings doesn't help
- Motherboard is a FN95 (Shuttle XPC proprietary) other specs as in 1st post...anything else you want?
- No problems other problems in Win XP.

The really interesting thing is that it doesn't happen every time my computer boots. The majority of boots. More specifically it seems to happen when I boot it up from off, but not if I do a restart from Windows.

It really does sound like a software problem, but I've installed the same copy of XP (corporate edition) on multiple other computers none of which have had similar problems.

Like I said, a very strange problem :). I'm completely at a loss...

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 01:17:47 PM »
It really does sound like a software problem, but I've installed the same copy of XP (corporate edition) on multiple other computers none of which have had similar problems.

With Microsoft cracking down on pirated copies of XP, especially the heavily pirated corporate editions, perhaps it is their doing.

michaeld

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 01:26:06 PM »
With Microsoft cracking down on pirated copies of XP, especially the heavily pirated corporate editions, perhaps it is their doing.

Yeah I've gotta say I've definitely considered that as an explnation. But I've never heard of anything like that before. Thus I was hoping for opinions of others...

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 01:54:42 PM »
    Is this a fresh install of XP?

michaeld

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 02:48:19 PM »
    Is this a fresh install of XP?

I fresh install frequently and it happens on every install.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 03:05:52 PM »
      Does it happen in safe mode?

michaeld

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 02:21:32 AM »
      Actually it seems to have stopped happening, and I think as a result of resetting the BIOS to 'optimized defaults'. A strange problem, but I think that has fixed it!

Thanks for all your help!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 03:41:00 AM »
      Sometimes we are just that good.  ;)

bluescreencomputer

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 07:36:13 AM »
      I see this happening for certain mobos (often older Dell desktops) that are trying to boot from an inappropriate source.  Many of my clients get this problem when they install a new HP printer.  The camera card slots on the printer confuse the boot-up process, and the computer is waiting for media to be loaded into the printer/card slots.

Adjusting/updating the BIOS usually fixes it, but not always.  I've got one or two clients with old PowerSpec towers that won't boot up at all until you disconnect the printer.

This may also happen because of connected flash drives and removable media drives.  During your 30-second delay, try disconnecting devices one at a time, noticing if the boot process suddenly breaks free.