Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Freezing When Playing Games  (Read 4309 times)

Pruzy

Computer Freezing When Playing Games
« on: April 01, 2004, 07:32:18 AM »
Hello,
I'm running Windows 98 SE. Whenever I want to play games of any kind including games on the internet my computer will freeze totally. The Ctrl-Alt-Delete will not work and the mouse will not move. My C drive is 13 Gigs, with about 6.5 of that is being used. I tried defragmenting my C drive and still my computer freezes. What can I do to stop this freezing? My computer can handle the games because they play anywhere for 5-45 + minutes, but then they freeze without warning. I really want this problem to be fixed. Please Help!
Pruzy

Pete

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer Freezing When Playing Games
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 11:54:20 AM »
    Are the game discs scratched/damaged I've been playing happily before and all of a sudden got the dreaded blue death screen and the PC won't go any further and had to Ctrl-Alt-Delete or pull the plug.

Do any of the games have a diagnostic program? if they do try running it.   Some games may require a different version of Direct X.  Then again I have found some games especially newer ones need the most up-to-date device drivers.  I'm not saying that this will definately cure your problem but this is what I would try first.

I hope this helps
    Regards
    Pete

bri

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 01:36:23 PM »
    Hello,  
    I'm running Windows 98 SE. Whenever I want to play games of any kind including games on the internet my computer will freeze totally. snipped pruzy
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Try updating video drivers ,and are they any error messages on screen?and what graphics card have you got?

Milan

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 04:06:08 PM »
    I had the same problem there are lots ways to solve it

2.Go Online and buy a new power supply or switch the ram or any othere hardware untill you find what the problem is.

3. If you have an Nvidia Geforce card or mostly any card. I and lots of other people have expirenced porblem with the new drivers 56.13" You might want to install older dirvers like 53 or 44. This happened to me when i installed the new driver lots of games crashed so i installed drivers and evreything was back to normal.

4. Defragment your hardrive or reinstall/uninstall your windows.

5. Make sure any wires from your computer are not damaged or Bent. Especially your power supply

6. Go to Your bios and check that anything isnt overheating.

7. Update Windows run virus scannes and Spware remover utilities. Sometimes Spyware will restart your computer for no reason or install software.

8. If all fails call Microsoft or someone who made your computer. (I Think they arent doing updates any more for Windows 98 So make sure you check)

Best Luck from Milan sorry about the bad spelling