Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shuts down automatically- Help Needed  (Read 5673 times)

mishra_stlouis

Computer shuts down automatically- Help Needed
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:34:54 PM »
Background of the problem
--------------------------------
  My PC was running slow with windows and pop ups appearing automatically one after the other.I thought it to be a virus problem and decided on cleaning the system completly by doing a system restore.
On inserting the restore CD and choosing the full system restore option it started the restore but after couple of minutes the PC was automatically switched off.
When i switched on the PC with restore CD still in the CD drive it gives a message restoring but again switches off after a min
When i switch on without Restore CD it gives disk boot failure , insert the restore CD..and it switches off.
So in both the cases it switches off.

Before i tried restoring , Lately i had started observing that my PC would switch off, if it was idle for 2-3 hours. Sometimes the fan use to create a lot of noise , but not always.

Fixes tried till now
---------------------
1> I can enter BIOS and its detecting Hard drive.
2> I tried replacing RAM.
3> Tried booting from windows XP CD

In all of the above the it switchess off after couple of minutes

PC configuration
------------------
HP Pavilion A804n
335 Intel celeron D processor
512MB DDR SDRAM Memory PC2700
80GD Ultra DMA Hard drive
48X CDRW drive
DVD ROM drive 16X
procesor 2.80GHz
256KB L2 Cache
533 MHz front side bus

Please help...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer shuts down automatically- Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:46:38 PM »
If the fans were getting loud i suspect this system is shutting itself down due to heat and trying to save itself from cooking to failure...

How adept are you at working inside the case ? ?

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mishra_stlouis

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:34:54 PM »
I am a beginer you can say in terms of hardware related fixes. If you have some solutions please suggest..

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 09:01:49 PM »
    Jesus, that has to be the neatest, clearest and most informed question ive seen so far..

OK, first off i dont understand why u needed the Windows XP CD inorder to restore the system to a state that it was in before.
    The system creates restore points in itself every day and when u install new programs. The restore point on ur CD must be like old drivers - it makes the system go nuts. Plus u would lose everything that u have done..

So what i want u to do, it get to XP somehow and do a system restore by going to Start > All Programs > Accesories > System Tools > System Restore. Now restore to a few days ago or before the problems started to occur.

Also, go into the settings menu after the BIOS screen by pressing DEL. Check the temps of whatever u can find.
    OR, download "Everest" or "System Analyzer" and check for temps and fan speeds.

Your system is very old, wich makes me assume u dont game. But just because ur not buying a new PC dosent mean that u should neglect to maintain the current one, and if u dont intend on buying a new PC anytime soon then u have even more reason to check out if there is a problem with a piece of hardware.
    Its possible that the fans, being so old are not working well.
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:08:29 AM »
    Slow down Track.

Using a restore CD doesn't mean he used an XPCD...it could be the HP restore CD and we don't know that.

If he is getting a disk boot failure he can't use Windows System Restore.

No need to send him into the BIOS at this point at least not yet.

No need to tell him he has an old system and is not a gamer.

----------------------------------------------------

Mishra here is what i would do. Remove the power cord from the rear of the case and see if you can remove a side panel from the case or the whole case itself...different models are not designed the same so check all fasteners.

When you have a panel off and can see inside grab a strong flashlight. We are looking for fans that are not working. Plug the power back in and check all the fans.
    First and most important will be the CPU fan...it will be on the MBoard and mounted on top of the CPU.
    You might also have a fan on your video card...you can find this card by tracing the cable that goes to the monitor.
    The Power Supply unit is a silver large box where you plugged the power into it will also have fans.

Check as many of these as you can before it shuts itself down and let us know...

patio.  8-)
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 07:09:26 AM by patio »

mishra_stlouis

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »
    Patio,
      You are right i was using an HP provided restore CD. As i am getting a disk boot failure i can't use Windows System Restore. FYI-- this PC was bought last year (2005)
    As suggested by you i opened the case and looked for the fans , it seems they are working properly.They are rotating when i switch on the PC.
    It seems my Video card doesnt have a fan.The Power supply unit has a fan and it also rotates.
    To summarize when i switch on the PC, fans rotates and after a min the PC shuts down automatically.
    Please suggest what should be my next diagnostics step ?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 08:49:50 AM »
    It's going to be a bit tricky diagnosing since it won't stay running that long...in the meantime from your local PC store grab a can of compressed air and do as much cleaning inside as you can Those long Q-Tips are handy as well. The compressed air is pretty strong so use a Q-tip to hold each fan blade in place when cleaning them out.

Maybe after this we can get it cool enough to keep running long enough to run some diagnostic software.

Also check with who you know that has computers to see if you can borrow a good Power supply...that is our next suspect.

Remember to unplug the unit each time we are working inside the case.

Be patient...we'll get you there.

patio.  8-)

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 08:52:38 AM »
    You're going to have to remove the CPU heatsink if you want to properly clean it, though.

mishra_stlouis

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 09:49:35 PM »
    I cleaned the fan and heatsink and removed as much dust i could.Also used compressed air. But seems that is not the issue.
    Should i try replacing the power supply unit? Can i use any power supply or specific to my computer model. My existing PC has 250 W unit.I believe i can use something equivalent to that..
    Any more suggestions?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 09:58:47 PM »
    So it is still shutting down right away ? ?

Then yes my next suspect would be a bad PSU.

Can you borrow one to test first? ?

Replace it with at least a 400W unit and don't buy the cheap ones they are nothing but headaches.

patio.  
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 10:02:22 PM by patio »

mishra_stlouis

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 10:27:22 PM »
    I replaced my old PSU with a new PSU 430 W but that too didnt help.
    It behaves as before, it just shuts down after a min. I dont know what should i do next . pls suggest.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 04:50:20 AM »
    Do any of the mainboard capacitors look like the ones on the example picture?

Are you sure you removed all of the dust?

Did you remove the heatsink and then clean it?

mishra_stlouis

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 09:11:06 AM »
    Yes i had removed the heatsink before cleaning it. Infact i also removed the Processor and cleaned it. On the processor i could see a white colored sticky fluid. Is it normal to have that ? Is it some special kind of coolant which helps cool the processor?
    Capacitors look normal unlike in the attached picture..

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »
    Yes i had removed the heatsink before cleaning it. Infact i also removed the Processor and cleaned it. On the processor i could see a white colored sticky fluid. Is it normal to have that ? Is it some special kind of coolant which helps cool the processor?
    Capacitors look normal unlike in the attached picture..

Yes, that is called thermal paste.  If it was completely dried out you would do best to replace it with a newer solution but since that isn't the case we can move on. Unless you removed it?

Can you recap on what you have done so far?

• Inspected the mainboard for faulty capacitors
    • Removed the heatsink and cleaned it from dust
    • Replaced PSU

mishra_stlouis

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 10:17:18 AM »
    things done so far

1> Inspected the Motherboard for any faulty capacitor. Through naked eye everything looks normal. The color at the top of capacitor appears normal it doesnt appear leaked or something

2> I tried replacing RAM

3> Removed the heatsink and cleaned it for any dust. Though i would like to mention one thing here.
         There are 2 clips which hold the heatsink tightly above the processor. One of them seems broken .
         But still the existing clip is holding the heatsink tight enough. Can it be the reason for the problem?

4> Replaced the PSU with a new one ..

5> checked all connections...