Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LAN (Home Network) Problems  (Read 10116 times)

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    LAN (Home Network) Problems
    « on: October 18, 2006, 09:47:46 AM »
    I have 2 computers linked together in a LAN (I think it's called a peer-to-peer network). One of the computers runs WIN98SE, the other WIN2000. Until recently I had no problem with moving files between the 2, etc. The computer running WIN2000 had a disastrous crash; I had to re-install Windows on it.

Now, the computers each recognize the existence of the other in Neytwork Neighborhood, but no longer communicate. When I try to access the WIN988 computer from the WIN2000 computer, the program locks up. The WIN98 computer reports: "Distributed COM Services was blocked from accepting a connection", and provides the IP of the WIN2000 computer.

When I try to access the WIN2000 computer from the WIN98 computer, I am told that I need a password to do this. I never put a password in, and never required one before.

I thought the problem might be with the firewall (ZoneAlarm(, but it isn't. Turning off Zone Alarm on both computers makes no change.

What is happening, and how can I fix it?
    Tom

Raptor

Re: LAN (Home Network) Problems
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 10:15:36 AM »
    Are they still in the same workgroup?

How are they connected? Through a Router or by Crossover cable?

PhillCooper1983

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 01:39:33 PM »
    HI

on the windows 98 computer create a user name and password the same as that on the windows 2000 computer and log on, on the win 98 computer with that and then try and access the windows 2000 shares. see if that works ....

Let me know ...

:-)

Regards
    Phil

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:12:10 PM »
      Thanks, Phil and Raptor. I've made some progress since I posed the problem.
      The WIN2000 computer was having a conflict, trying to identify the other computer under 2 names. When I cleared that up, I was able to communicate easily with the WIN98 computer.
      I'm still having the problem with the WIN98 computer, but I'll try your suggestion, Phil, tomorrow, and let you know what happens.
      Tom

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 11:37:59 AM »
        I finally had time to try Peter's suggestion. It worked!!
        Thanks, Peter. I never would have thought to try that.
        Tom