Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multimedia Controller - Im new at this - help ;)  (Read 8278 times)

ComputerNewbie

Multimedia Controller - Im new at this - help ;)
« on: September 20, 2004, 04:39:03 PM »
I checked under my device manager and it shows an exclamation point next to "Multimedia Controller" under sound, video, and game controllers [this is on XP].

When I pick properties it says manufacturer unknown. Then location says PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 0, device 15, function 0) - not sure what that is really.

under status it has:
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Well, I have a big book of cds for drivers, and I ran them all through and it never recognized any of them as the correct driver. I don't even know what it is exactly or what driver to get or what website to go to... Im clueless.

Help please? Thanks.

Raptor

Re: Multimedia Controller - Im new at this - help
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 05:19:59 AM »
That could be your On-board soundcard. Is it enabled in the BIOS? If you have a PCI soundcard installed, it most likely is.

ComputerNewbie

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 11:53:58 AM »
Hmm...not sure if it is enabled in BIOS or not...

I know I have a creative labs soundcard or some such ... I think. *laughs*

But, does this mean I should go into BIOS and disable the sound card or something? Sorry, like the name says - ComputerNewbie =\

Thanks for the help, though.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 11:54:36 AM »
Are you experiencing problems related to the Multimedia controller?

ComputerNewbie

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 04:40:09 PM »
Well, I am not sure if this is a problem related to it directly or not. You see, I had Sims 2 installed and it ran slow, but it ran [I only pass the req'd processor speed by 100, but I can't buy a new one I doubt it since I have no clue how you would install it - and I dont have the money to pay for an expensive dell or something]. I recently redid the computer - erased it all and put XP back in, and now the Sims 2 will begin to load, show the icon in the taskbar, then freeze completely. Might be causing that since it worked fine before filled with junk.

Any ideas?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 01:19:22 AM »
Your processor speed is not the only part of your computer that determines your computer speed.

How Stuff Works - Hardware Channel

Before upgrading your PC I suggest you read through these articles to learn more about what you have to upgrade.

Did you reinstall The Sims 2 yet? Updated all your drivers?

You may have to install motherboard drivers in order to activate the Multimedia Controller properly.

ComputerNewbie

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 03:59:45 PM »
Well I figured I would just take the thing apart and hope I remembered what went where =) Turns out that the thing it was talking about was some sort of tv to monitor or vice versa sort of deal. I found the manufacturer's label, went to their site, and after a hard time I found the driver.

So, I redid the computer again to fix anything I messed up, I put in all the new updated video graphics and sound drivers. Now everything looks to be in good shape.

Oddly enough, the Sims 2 still does the same freeze deal. Why? I couldn't tell you. Maybe the service pack 2 messed it up - but I coulda swore I had it installed before as well.

*sighs* Anyhow, at least that driver is done with ;)

Thanks for following through and helping me out!

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 05:02:49 AM »
I have a Multimedia Controller as well. I believe you are refering to your videocard?

As for The Sims 2, contact EA technical support. They are better able to help you than I am. Explain them what you have done in order to run into this problem.