Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp shuts down suddenly.  (Read 5949 times)

gollam

xp shuts down suddenly.
« on: September 21, 2004, 09:45:28 AM »
xp suddenly shuts down.wont restart.monitor light(orange) stays on .computer light(green)stays on.this normally happens within a couple of minutes.after rebooting it can keep running with no problems till whenever.sometimes on reboot "cmos checksum error-defaults loaded" appears.computer then runs as normal.done all usual scans.any ideas,please?thanx.

Raptor

Re: xp shuts down suddenly.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 10:11:02 AM »
You may need to replace your CMOS battery or update your BIOS.

Computer CMOS information

CMOS checksum error

gollam

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 10:52:19 AM »
hello again raptor!went to bios and set defaults.i'll see how it goes .it's stayed on this time.is the battery recharchable?                                                                              On a completely different subject,how do you direct someone to a suggested website etc(like you did)just by clicking it?If that makes sense!thanx.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 11:27:53 AM »
Majic! ;)

The CMOS battery is not rechargable. My mainboard manufacturer (Gigabyte) sent me a new one when I asked them for a replacement. Free of charge. (However, my mainboard is still under warranty,  I believe)

As for the links;

type [ url = link ] text [ /url ]. (Without spaces) If you donot understand, quote one of my messages and you will see how.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 11:30:36 AM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 03:34:36 PM »
how old is this system? more info on motherboard ram etc..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 03:35:16 PM by merlin_2 »

Nathan Braun

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 07:58:17 PM »
i have that same problem with my new motherboard. dual BIOs. although my problem started whenever i tried to save changes to BIOS. now i cant start up my computer in the same manner as gollam's. i take it by gollam's lack of presence that hanging the battery worked, or did you have to upgrade your BIOs?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 08:08:54 PM »
    gollam.....Another way you can post a clickable link is to open that page ...then go up to the address bar and click on the url....it will turn blue then right click on it and select copy.....now go back to where you wish to post it and with the cursor blinking where you want the link to be ............right click and select "paste" or just press Ctrl/v    and presto its there and clickable

Hope this helps
    dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

MalikTous

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 04:22:32 PM »
    BIOS corruption from faded batteries usually is a symptom of a 3 year old or more PC. Modern ones use 3v alkaline coin cells. Many older PCs used a NiCd battery for CMOS, you can see the battery back near the keyboard connector.

If you leave your PC 'soft-shutoff' with the standby power on, it will usually not drain the battery much if at all. If you habitually shut the power strip off when shutting down, the battery keeps the clock and CMOS RAM up until the power is restored, and will exhaust sooner. As for links on a page:

Code: [Select]
    [url=http://www.kidon.com/media-link]Kidon Media Link[/url]
    Kidon Media Link

This is just a sample. More fun with BBCode can be investigated in a Post Message page or with a search tool.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 12:40:24 PM »
    lassa exe can also cause winxp to shutdown after 60 seconds...have you scanned for trojans etc...and use another firewall like sygate..

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 02:05:44 PM »
    Merlin, there is an edit button you know..