Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My new cd rom does not work properly  (Read 12258 times)

cluelessblond

Re: My new cd rom does not work properly
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 10:44:28 AM »
I did not try a data cd in the new one, the old one did fine with them until the door would not open.

I did not install the drives, they installed themselves- see my earlier postings.

I do not know what a jumper setting is...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 10:45:03 AM by cluelessblond »

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 10:54:40 AM »
Can you remove the drive and make certain the IDE cable is properly connected?

Jumper settings are on the back of the drive; the sticker on top of the drive should have provided you with instructions.

I don't think it's a hardware problem, though. But we've got to be certain, anyway
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 10:55:17 AM by Raptor »

cluelessblond

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 11:14:12 AM »
Ok, now I got you, in the store I was told to to put the jumper on CS which I deduced was in the 3rd and middle setting based on the manual- there was no sticker. Which one is the IDE cable?

Raptor

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 01:50:04 PM »
Ok, now I got you, in the store I was told to to put the jumper on CS which I deduced was in the 3rd and middle setting based on the manual- there was no sticker. Which one is the IDE cable?

The flat ribbon cable with the large keyed connectors. Often grey/black. Leads into the optical and HDDs.

Are there any other devices attached to that cable and if so, are those set to CS as well?

If your CD-ROM is set to CS, it has to be connected to the Master connector of the IDE flat ribbon cable and not to the slave..

The middle connector is Master, the one on the end is slave. (The two conectors closest to eachother.)

This does not apply if you have an (IDE) flat ribbon cable with only one connector on each end.

cluelessblond

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 06:20:54 AM »
There are no other devices attached to the flat ribbon, however it was attached to the connector on the end.

I downloaded, installed and ran the suggested cleaners but I did not have time to try playing a cd. I will let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Have a wonderful day!

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 02:34:38 PM »
There are no other devices attached to the flat ribbon, however it was attached to the connector on the end.

I downloaded, installed and ran the suggested cleaners but I did not have time to try playing a cd. I will let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Have a wonderful day!

Try setting the CD-ROM to master instead of CS.

cluelessblond

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 06:00:44 PM »
Ok did all of the above suggestions and it is still skipping. I did a diagnostic of the cd in itunes and got the following result:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)

iTunes 7.0.1.8
CD Driver 2.0.6.0
CD Driver DLL 2.0.6.0
LowerFilters: AFS2K (3.1.20.0), CDR4_2K (5.3.2.31),
UpperFilters: GEARAspiWDM (2.0.6.0), Cdralw2k (5.3.2.31),
Video Driver:  Velocity 128\NV3

IDE\DiskST310211A_3.54____, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [0,0]
IDE\CdRomPIONEER_DVD-RW__DVR-111D_1.23____, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [0,0]
If you have multiple drives on the same IDE or SCSI bus, these drives may interfere with each other.
Some computers need an update to the ATA or IDE bus driver, or Intel chipset. If iTunes has problems recognizing CDs or hanging or crashing while importing or burning CDs, check the support site for the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard.
Current user is an administrator.

D: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-111D, Rev 1.23
Audio CD in drive.

Could not open CD handler, 32. Problem with installation of drive in Windows or drive contains copy protected CD.
Audio CD reading succeeded.
Get drive speed succeeded.
The drive CDR speeds are:   4 10 16 20 24 32 40 48.
The drive CDRW speeds are:   4.
The drive DVDR speeds are:   4.
The drive DVDRW speeds are:   4.

cluelessblond

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 07:03:03 PM »
I decided to try to play the cd using windows media player and it would not even play the cd- it just made lots of noise and then would not shut down- I had to end task. I am really baffled now.

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 11:55:32 PM »
You could try finding IDE drivers for your mainboard on the manufacturers website.. Or perhaps you need a BIOS update.

What mainboard do you have and what drivers/BIOS are used?

cluelessblond

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 04:37:57 AM »
Where do I find that info?

Now when I go to My Computer it aknowledges the D drive but will not aknowledge that there is a cd in it. It says please insert disk. Then it freezes things up on the computer when I open and close the disk door. I tried switching everything back - the IDE cable (which is labeled CD1 and CD2 btw) and switched the jumper back to CS but it still does it.

:'(
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 04:38:50 AM by cluelessblond »

GX1_Man

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 05:58:39 AM »
Using the CS jumper can sometimes require a certain type cable, and all drives to that cable must be jumpered as CS. The one on the further end of the cable is Master and the connector in the middle is slave.

Usually a basic Master-Slave jumper setting works better for most people.

http://item.express.ebay.com/Computers-Networking_Computer-Components_Drives-Storage_Pioneer-DVR-111D-16X-Internal-DVD-R-RW-CD-RW-DL-Burner_W0QQitemZ180040407307QQihZ008QQptdnZDrivesQ20Q26Q20StorageQQddnZComputersQ20Q26Q20NetworkingQQadnZComputerQ20ComponentsQQcmdZExpressItem

for pictures and details of settings for this drive
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:00:28 AM by GX1_Man »

cluelessblond

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 06:27:29 AM »
Thanks for the visual!! It is back on CS now- where I had it origonally and there are no other drives or devices on that cable. The old cd/rom that I removed had the jumper on master. I did try re installing the drives this morning before I had to leave for work. But it still is not recognizing a CD in the drive. :P

AND GET THIS.... When I opened itunes and played the album it imported yesterday there was no skipping at all.!?!?!?! :-?

Raptor

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 04:04:47 PM »
Use Everest Home Edition (Can be found in the FAQ section) to determine what mainboard you have.

What have you done prior to making the skipping stop? Reseated the jumpers?

cluelessblond

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 10:26:52 AM »
I  wanted to thank those that were helping me. In the end I took the Pioneer DVD rom back and got a Memorex that was better suited to my Pentium II processor. I did have to reinstall the drivers on that one initially as well but it is now working well. The problem now is that it seems I do not have enough memory to upload songs into itunes. I think I will ask advice in a new thread. Thanks again!