Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Home network problems  (Read 7523 times)

csalas

Home network problems
« on: October 25, 2006, 12:33:43 PM »
I have 2 PCs connected to a DSL wireless router, one hard wired to the router and the other (laptop) via a wireless adapter. Both machines running XP SP2.

I'm having no problems accessing the internet, POP3 and web, from either machine, however I cannot share files or the printer.

A few months ago I had everything running just fine until I loaded Windows Live OneCare. After a while I got the settings set properly and and was good to go.

I recently ran Windows update (coincidence?) on the laptop (other workstation was regularly updating) and now can't access either workstation files from the other, or the shared printer from the laptop. Message I get is: "Warning .... is not accessible. You might not have permission...... The network path was not found". I still have full internet access from both machines.

One thing I have noticed is that from each machine I can ping the gateway but not itself or the other.

Suggestions?

Chris

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Home network problems
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 12:38:33 PM »
I had the same problem (kind of - it never worked, and was caused by Zonealarm)
I can now ping each computer from the other (but not share files or printers) - the solution was to add the other machine's IP address to the trusted zone in Zonealarm and set the firewall to medium
Perhaps there is a similar kind of option in Windows Live Onecare? (if it's what I think it is, like a security package, I thought it included a firewall but I may be wrong)
Worth a try

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 02:40:26 PM »
Is LiveCare a firewall?

csalas

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:59:35 PM »
Yes, OneCare has a firewall component, but I have verified it is allowing file and printer sharing as well as MS Windows networking. Also, why can't I ping the NIC from both work stations?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 12:09:30 AM »
Did you perhaps isolate the wireless connections on your network? Some routers can do that, like my Linksys.

csalas

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 11:46:31 AM »
Doup!!!

Turns out all machines involved needed rebooting. I got so used to being prompted for the reboot it didn't dawn on me.

Still can't ping my own machine or the other one also running the OneCare firewall. Have verified by turning off the firewall it is a OneCare setting somewhere. Otherwise all is well.
Thanks

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 05:12:47 PM »
Ah, come back anytime.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:40:56 PM »
Many firewalls block ICMP packets (ping) by default.  You won't get a response from pinging, unless you override that setting.

Edit: I'd put 'ICPM'.  Argh.  Do I go in the sin bin?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 03:10:29 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

csalas

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 08:56:24 PM »
Bingo!!

ICMP V4&V6 inbound were being blocked. Thanks