Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista?  (Read 5683 times)

johnchain

Windows Vista?
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:29:06 PM »
Hey I had a question I thought I'd ask some of the experts around here. My friend is ordering a new Dell that will come with Windows XP. However she has heard that Windows Vista is coming out in February? or some time in the near future. She wants to know whether to stick with XP or wait around for Vista to come by.

I think she's kind of a mix of creativity and work. So along with her personality and my Windows experience, I would support XP all the way. I myself don't trust the stability and the amount of resources required from Vista to recommend it. However, after researching some, I'm still not positive. I figured someone around here knows more about Vista and can give a good recommendation. I personally enjoy the eye candy on Vista, but not what it takes to run it.

I run linux now (suse) and I believe Xgl with Compiz is just phenominally gorgeous (The cube thing is just too trippy). I don't know...that's just me.

Any thoughts?

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows Vista?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:22:14 AM »
I saw a post it said without a gig of ram dont bother with vista...

windows was giving away previews "time release software" only good until june like a shareware OS...

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/windows-vista/early-adopter-download-of-the-day--windows-vista-rc2-205995.php

not sure if there still giving the keys

I have a key and I'm authorized to put it on 10 computers so check and download if you need I will give the key to you unless someone has a problem with that....I'm not trying to pirate software as I said I'm authorized to put it on 10 comps.. I know someone will correct me if this is a no no...

I dont see myself using it although I downloaded the 2.4 gig iso I never even burned it yet...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 02:25:47 AM by fat_basterd21 »
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 02:42:39 AM »
 Ok the link isnt much help anymore i guess.. and all I saw was RC1 not RC2 maybe your out of luck... I made a post when RC2 was released to let everyone know....

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 04:25:50 AM »
RC2 is no longer available for download from the legit source.

Some dealers/stores are giving out VISTA coupons so you can get a discounted price on it when it comes out with a computer purchase now. That way you can go either way.

I will never go down the Vista road for a variety of reasons. I don't need a whiz bang machine or a gig of RAM to do what I do. (Actually I don't need Windows at all to do what I do, but that's just me.)

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 02:06:49 PM »
I agree if I was going to dedicate my system resorces to eyecandy I would go for XGL