Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 4GB Usb Mass storage falsely needs to be formatted  (Read 2090 times)

Bkid

4GB Usb Mass storage falsely needs to be formatted
« on: October 31, 2006, 05:24:40 PM »
Posted on a Nintendo DS forum, so here's a few things:

- This device is a 4GB HDD connected to the computer via a USB cord and recognized as a Mass Storage Device.
- The files on the HDD can be viewed/access using a special cartridge for the DS called Max Media Player.
- The files work fine when being viewed/accessed via the Media Player, but don't work it all on my PC.

So with that, here's the problem:

I have so much stuff on my 4GB HDD that I don't want lost, but I came home from the mall today, plugged in my HDD, and it's now saying that it's not formatted. So here's the timeline of events:

1) Went to the mall
2) Turned on my DS to look for a hotspot, did other stuff, etc. etc.
3) opened up an energy drink and got a VERY LITTLE amount spewed onto the HDD, on that crack between the HDD and the pins.
4) Went to the arcade and asked a guy that works there (that I know) if he had a screwdriver that fit the 2 screws, and he did.
5) Unscrewed the HDD from the base, pulled it off (carefully, of course), and cleaned what LITTLE there was of the drink from the sides (none got on the pins).
NOTE: At this time, the DS will still boot up Max Media Player, and I can still access all my files via the Player.
6) I go home, plug my HDD into the USB cord, and double click on the icon. It says "The disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Yes/No"
Side Notes for 6):
-Drive F? My HDD is C:, my CD drive is D:, and whenever I plug in the 4GB HDD it's usually E:.
-The HDD is now named "local disk", when I had already renamed it to DSHDD, or something like that.
-I can view/access the files perfectly fine from the Max Media Player, but not from the computer.
-The drive does NOT need to be formatted, because it was fine just yesterday.

Now, I don't THINK that pulling the HDD from the pins hurt it any (I've done it once before a long time ago, and it worked fine afterwards), but it might have been the case. I'm 99% sure it wasn't the energy drink spill, since almost NONE got on the HDD.

Does anyone know how I might fix this problem without formatting my HDD? I've already tried unintalling the drivers and plugging it back in (so the computer recognizes it all over again), but the same thing happens. Thanks for any help.

-Bkid

GX1_Man

Re: 4GB Usb Mass storage falsely needs to be forma
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 05:50:32 PM »
Now, I [highlight]don't THINK [/highlight]that pulling the HDD from the pins hurt it any (I've done it once before a long time ago, and it worked fine afterwards), but it might have been the case. I'm 99% sure it wasn't the energy drink spill, since [highlight]almost[/highlight] NONE got on the HDD.

Possible errors in logic.

Bkid

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 06:01:50 PM »
Obviously, but so very little of my energy drink got on it, and it ONLY got on the plastic I know for a fact. That puts a liquid error at about a 1% chance. Now, the pins thing. The reason why I said I don't THINK is because I KNEW it was a possible chance. But seriously, I pulled it straight from the pins, perfectly, without doing any damage. I know how it would look if something was wrong. Also, to clarify things, the HDD pulls out and goes back in like a Compact Flash card (hence the reason why it can be replaced by one if need be), if that helps anyone picture this thing better.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 01:57:34 PM »
Check the pins...
Replace the cable...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "