Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hasta la Vista, baby.  (Read 6728 times)

bayern

Hasta la Vista, baby.
« on: November 03, 2006, 08:32:43 AM »
I just tried out the Vista at a friend's house, it doesn't impress me a bit. To me it looks and feels like a
B-rated re-make of the OSX. (especially on the GUI.)

Just wondering what your opinions are? Whould you give MS $200+ for its inferior product?

After trying it out. I feel like saying hasta la Vista, baby.

B.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: Hasta la Vista, baby.
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 12:06:11 PM »
    So you are judging an operating system purely because of its visual style? Personally I think the XP theme looks like it was drawn like a 3 year old, but I still use XP because of the technical advancements over 9x etc. But obviously any of Vista's actual technical abilities don't seem to have made any contribution to your opinion.

Sorry to be harsh, but don't judge a book by it's cover, nor an OS by its visual style ;)

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 06:35:58 PM »
    The first time I saw XP witht he new default look, I thought THAT was done by a youngster. On the machines I have used XP on I quickly reverted to all classic settings and turned off all of the eye candy.

Vista promises more of the same preponderance of look over innovation I fear. I still cannot get one good reason that people want Vista, what it offers them, other than it's new and "kewl". What can you do that you cannot do now?

Anyone?

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 06:42:41 PM »
      My feelings exactly GX_Man, I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would choose XP over W2K.
      I believe many people did the leap from 98 to XP because of the hype with the XP launch without realising that W2K was XP without the eye candy.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 06:43:32 PM »
      The first time I saw XP witht he new default look, I thought THAT was done by a youngster. On the machines I have used XP on I quickly reverted to all classic settings and turned off all of the eye candy.

Vista promises more of the same preponderance of look over innovation I fear. I still cannot get one good reason that people want Vista, what it offers them, other than it's new and "kewl". What can you do that you cannot do now?

Anyone?

You are so right.After I got in a habit of this 5 speed, an automatic would

bore me to death.
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

bayern

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 09:39:14 PM »
      "On the machines I have used XP on I quickly reverted to all classic settings and turned off all of the eye candy.  "

I did the same thing, whst's wrong with the W2K's classic look? I still prefer Win2K over XP as well. It seems to me MS covers up all the holes in a wall with wallpaper instead of fixing the real problem of the OS. I think they are doing the same thing with Vista.

B.

Neil

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        « Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 08:54:26 AM »
        If Windows is so bad, don't use it ::)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 09:53:27 AM »
        I've been running Vista RC2 on my testbench machine for 5 weeks now...

No comment yet...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 12:11:34 PM »
        If Windows is so bad, don't use it ::)

I think you miss the point. A lot of people are still locked in by their mindset, or the apps they use or their kids, or whatever. That doesn't mean they have to like it. I find it amazing that it has evolved in size astronomically for hard drive, and other system requirements while offereing minimal, if any, improvements in performance of anything.

Personally, I'm a Linux guy, but I would lose my favorite hobby if I gave up on Windows users.  ;)

Neil, what will Vista allow you to do in February (or whenever) that you are not able to do right this minute? What enhancement "does it" for you?