Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lan hdd storage problems  (Read 7815 times)

vfcguy

lan hdd storage problems
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:27:08 PM »
I recently bougt a ns347 lan/usb enclosure. put in a hard drive formated to fat32 as instructed. ran the set up by typing in the ip address of the hdd 169.254.0.1 in my browser with the unit connected to my xp home computer. (new hp pavillion ) it show all the info for set up fine, untill I plug the unit into my microsoft m500n base station.  base station will not reconize the lan hdd.  I believe it has something to do with the dhcp addressing.  the unit will act as one if it does not see one in the network, the base station acts as the dhcp server. for some reason it will not assign an address to the lann hdd.  the address for base station default is 192.168.2.1 I am a rookie, so any help would be appreciated I think it has to have something to do with dhcp? I did try turning off the dhcp in the lan hdd setup after plugging it back into my xp computer but it did not help. it supposed to by default any way. any ideas would help!

GX1_Man

Re: lan hdd storage problems
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 04:06:11 PM »
DHCP does not require you to pass in an IP. It assigns it every time it starts. See the info in the FAQ and in Rob's signature for basic info.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147256597

vfcguy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 05:21:47 PM »
any ideas of why my microsoft base station will not assign an address to the ns347 lan hdd once it is connected, there must be a conflict, but where do i start....thanks for the patience......

mikewithaprob

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 05:48:05 PM »
I think we should be thanking you for your patience  ;), I don't know anything about your problem but possibly calling the Help Line that came with your product might be a start if there is one.

vfcguy

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 10:46:24 PM »
the instructions that came with the product has no tech support, I believe it was made in a county that makes some products for a screaming deal price...that explains the price now... I am sure if I was not such a rookie a learning this stuff I would not be asking for help...................any tips would help..thanks..

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 10:53:29 PM »
DHCP does not require you to pass in an IP. It assigns it every time it starts. See the info in the FAQ and in Rob's signature for basic info.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147256597

Did you check out this info? There is a lot of good information for a rookie. Certainly more than you got with the equipment, it seems. That is a real inexpensive cheap device which seems to be sold more on eBay than from Newegg or other retailers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-250GB-3-5-LAN-USB-Ethernet-Network-Storage-Sys_W0QQitemZ150052849512QQcmdZViewItem

That ad has some information to chew on as well. I guess one assumption is that it is working correctly. Here is the manufacturer's web site:

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Networking-Product-news/a/2000000003844/3000000150410/all.htm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 10:54:35 PM by GX1_Man »

vfcguy

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 11:26:56 PM »
the first website was about the the same help as the instructions...for me at least......will try to weed out the manufacturer site.....not looking all that tech support helpfull.......any other help appreciated.... thanks

PartieHonteuse

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 03:01:49 AM »
It says it's able to take a static IP address from all the information that I was able to find about this product (which wasn't much).  Why not go into your base station and assign that MAC Address of your network storage device a static IP.  Go into the network storage administration panel and assign it that IP/Subnet.

Also,  finishing with simple stuff first.  I could only imagine that after configuring the network storage device on your hp computer that you have to power it down to connect it to your base station.  If that is NOT the case, make sure you are powering the unit down so it's able to negotiate with the base station and receive an IP address.

Partie™