Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connectivity issues with desktop.  (Read 4650 times)

Mastamind

Topic Starter

Rookie

Connectivity issues with desktop.
    « on: December 04, 2006, 06:17:20 AM »
    I was talking with a client who wanted to make his desktop wireless.  I set him up with a wireless PCI card adapter for his computer, told him how to install it, I offered to do it, but he said he was ok.  So I get a call from his last night, seems that everything went ok, except this....He has a D-link wireless router, and the PCI card is a Linksys.  Seems that the connection is seen by the computer, but won't allow him to access his network. I told him to turn off the router for 30 seconds and see if that helps, it didn't.  

Is there something I am missing?  I've heard how Linksys is picky, could this been an issue where he needs to stick with D-link?

Thanks for the help.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Connectivity issues with desktop.
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:03:42 AM »
    Does the router have MAC filtering enabled?  (It should do.)  If so, you'll need to add the PCI card's MAC address to the exception able.

Is WEP/WAP encryption in use?  Have the keys been set up correctly?  Encryption is ESSENTIAL on wireless networks.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Mastamind

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Connectivity issues with desktop.
      « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 09:11:43 AM »
      Encryption is essential.  I believe they told me that they were using a WEP key.  I didn't get a chance to look at it, we were speaking over the phone.  Next time I talk to him I will find out for sure.