Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NIC Card Issue - network wide  (Read 5990 times)

rivertrout10

NIC Card Issue - network wide
« on: November 13, 2006, 04:13:48 PM »
ALCON - I posted this under hardware earlier with no response - hopefully someone here can help.

ISSUE - I have a number of machines that operate on a domain regularly - we will call it DOMAIN 1.  DOMAIN 1 is a heavily administered domain where users have zero control on the machines.  In order to move a machine from DOMAIN 1 to another domain you must run a script that releases an admin password that will enable an administrator to join the machine to another domain.  We ran the script - gained admin control of the machines and subsequently attempted to join them to another domain - lets call it DOMAIN 2.

When we plug the machine into a known good port on DOMAIN 2 we get nothing on the NIC card - no link lights at all.  When we plug another machine (brand new out of the box) into the same port we can successfully join that machine to the domain.

I am looking for suggestions regarding the machines from DOMAIN 1 and what we need to look at in order to get these NIC cards to work.  I truly am under the gun here and am looking for any suggestions.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: NIC Card Issue - network wide
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 07:29:14 PM »
    Tried another NIC / checked Device Manager ?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

rivertrout10

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 08:21:27 PM »
    Actually figured it out - I am dealing with especially restricted networks - NMCI (Navy / Marine Corps) and moving computers to our shipboard domain.

What we finally figured out was not only did we have to have the NIC set to autodetect (which we did) - but also had to go in and change some other setting one of my Marines figured out - I want to say it had to do with the type of network traffic or flow??

Swapping the NIC would not have done any good - we knew the NICs were good - not too likely that 50 or so NICs would go bad all at once - but I appreciate your response.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 03:41:47 AM »
    I truly am under the gun here
    Like this?

Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos