Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinXP won't detect video card, ntwrk adapter. Help  (Read 8960 times)

GX1_Man

Re: WinXP won't detect video card, ntwrk adapter.
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »
Here's the thread we were in:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1163548052/14#14

Here's the procedure:

Dell drivers are not installed normally through Device Manager. You click on the .EXE file and it unpacks to a directory in the Dell subdirectory. Then you click on that file to install it.

pacorod

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 07:28:25 PM »
I installed almost all drivers, except the video drivers. I unzipped, ran the software, but it puts out an error message, saying I need to run the display using standard VGA drivers.

Also, in BIOS, the primary video controller is set to PEG (PCI express graphics video controller). The other option is PCI video controller.

any thoughts?

pacorod

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 12:16:18 AM »
Alright, so my computer has three regular PCI slots plus one 16x PCIe slot to which the video card is attached. All PCI devices function properly, the PCIe device (video card) does not.

pacorod

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 09:15:05 AM »
bump. please help  :-[

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 12:26:27 PM »
Is there an onboard video adapter as well? Is there another 15 pin blue plug on the back of the amchine where a monitor COULD plug in? If there are two are you certain you are plugged into the correct one? If so, then proceed.

So you followed my instruction EXACTLY for instaling the driver the Dell way? If so, and that did not work you can proceed.

What if you are in Control Panel, choose the video adapter, which will probably say standard VGA video. Right click and choose properties. Then choose update drivers, and direct it to the directory created when you clicked on the downloaded .exe file.

Leave the setting in BIOS alone. If you are plugged into the correct spot with the monitor (the PCIe card) you would have NO output to the screen.

pacorod

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 04:50:59 PM »
"Is there an onboard video adapter as well? Is there another 15 pin blue plug on the back of the amchine where a monitor COULD plug in? If there are two are you certain you are plugged into the correct one? If so, then proceed. "

There is only a 9 pin green plug labeled "IOIOI" that resembles the blue monitor plug located in the video card.

"So you followed my instruction EXACTLY for instaling the driver the Dell way? If so, and that did not work you can proceed."

Followed your instruction exactly. No luck.

"What if you are in Control Panel, choose the video adapter, which will probably say standard VGA video. Right click and choose properties. Then choose update drivers, and direct it to the directory created when you clicked on the downloaded .exe file."

the adapter is VgaSave. I can't update drivers, since the driver details tab isn't clickable

"Leave the setting in BIOS alone. If you are plugged into the correct spot with the monitor (the PCIe card) you would have NO output to the screen."

The BIOS settings are at default...exactly the same settings as when the computer arrived at my door.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »
...I don't know what you mean by onboard video. Please explain.

Onboard video = The connector into which your monitor plugs is hardwired to the motherboard.

Then when everything is running correctly you can try to add in the problematic video card." I don't know what you mean by "add in video card".

Video card = Card plugged into a slot on the motherboard into which you plug the monitor.

Also, please elaborate on "remove the add in video card and update all of the drivers from the Dell site only.

Open up the computer case, disconnect the monitor, remove the video card and plug the monitor into the video port hardwired to the motherboard.

What's the correct way to install the drivers? I'm sorry, i can't find your previous post.

They are usually self installing.  All you have to do is double-click on the .EXE file you download and save from the Web site of the manufacturer.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 01:48:53 PM »
Typical video card:

Removing/Installing a video card:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_video.htm

How to update drivers:

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/driver1.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 01:50:35 PM by pcdoc4christ »