Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connectivity Advice  (Read 8066 times)

philb101

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Connectivity Advice
    « on: November 17, 2006, 03:05:11 AM »
    A customer has a mainframe running RS232 ports
    Once a week he takes a Screen & Printer 300m to another building, connecting back to the mainframe using a Multiplexer & Line Drivers, he's now experiencing problems with this conection though everything works fine when at the host end
    Since RS232 is outdated & spares are becoming harder to find what advice would you suggest I give to the customer regarding replacing his current setup

Thanks for all advice

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re:  Connectivity Advice
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:03:46 AM »
    Can you tunnel the connection over a LAN?  300m is going to be a problem for many cabling standards , with the possible exception of optical.  Routing via TCP/IP gives much better long-distance possibilities, but I'm not sure your hardware application can be routed in that way.  What exactly does the computer need to do remotely?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

philb101

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:14:16 AM »
      The User has no PCs but "Dumb" Terminals that have no Ethernet connection just RS232 or RS422
      I know its all antiquated but some people are not for change.

THe terminal connects through the Line Drivers at the remote end to the Host Mainframe so the Terminal Inputs data to the mainframe as though it was connected directly

My suspicion is the Line Drivers or Multiplexers have failed, I will know more after a site visit on Monday

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 02:35:40 PM »
      Eek.  I thought that might be the case.  I haven't seen that kind of kit since I was at university.  You could consider selling this user the notion that supporting such systems is far more expensive than supporting newer kit...
      « Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:35:56 PM by robpomeroy »
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos