Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual boot 98 AFTER ubuntu install  (Read 4687 times)

magic_plank

Dual boot 98 AFTER ubuntu install
« on: November 18, 2006, 05:07:02 PM »
I have just managed to get ubuntu the way I like it and downloaded all the apps, codecs and whatnot I need to run it at its best. However, I just got a copy of Black and White, which is the perfect reason to install Windows 98 for a dual boot system.

Could someone please tell me how I can make a partition for windows, install it and dual boot without reinstalling ubuntu?

Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: Dual boot 98 AFTER ubuntu install
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 07:15:28 PM »
The best solution, unfortunately, is to ALWAYS install Windows first. Windows doesn't play well with other operating systems. (Gee, I wonder why?  ::))

This can be done but I don't recommend trying. It is unfortunate that Ubuntu is already tuned to your liking, but luckily an install can be done quickly, and less painfully, than Windows.

If you want to try, though....

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_restore_GRUB_menu_after_Windows_installation

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 01:44:30 AM »
I wonder if it's possible to use GParted to resize the Linux partition to the far end of the hard drive, and insert Windows into a new first partition?  You'd have to then reinstall Grub/Lilo after installing Windows...

Just thinking out loud.  I've never tried it.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

magic_plank

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:59:14 AM »
two weeks ago I had windows 98 on a seperate drive, unfortunately it finally gave up the ghost. I would swap drives round on the rare occasion I need 98, as even when jumpered correctly the drive would not play nicely as a master along with another slave drive.

Thanks for your advice, but it seems a bit over my head. I'll keep my eyes open for a HDD on the cheap.

Thanks.