Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: systems config utilitiessystems confiug  (Read 2475 times)

ge36

systems config utilitiessystems confiug
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:56:30 PM »
Hello!
How can I get safetly delete of some of the programs that are running in my systems config utilities start up window. Some of the programs are duplications. Please help. Thanks

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: systems config utilitiessystems confiug
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 01:58:52 AM »
Type the name into Google and see what the startup item is before you disable anything
To disable a startup item, uncheck the box next to it
Don't disable yor antivirus protection, firewall etc as you'll be without protection
When you change things using msconfig (I assume that's what you're using, if it's not then say so) on your next boot there will be a message about making changes, just check the box and press OK and it won't bother you again
Need any more help just ask

1101doc

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 01:59:19 AM »
ge36-

We need much more information than you have provided.
What is your machine and operating system.
Do you have any Startup control programs?
Antivirus?  Antispyware?  Have you scanned for problems?
What does Taskmanager tell you is going on if you have it on your system?

In XP, msconfig can be a dangerous place for a newb.
Before you start making a lot of changes there please get back with
as much information as you can provide.  This type of thing can either be
quite simple or very involved depending on what exactly is going on.

Will wait for your reply.

1101doc

ge36

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 12:18:01 PM »
Hey out there!

My OS is win xp pro ed. I am using NOD 32 antivirus and AD ware SE. Now the problem is not that they are checked and running, the problem is that alot of them are duplicated and I am trying to delete some of the ones that are duplicated. Here is a list of exe. files that are running in the start up windows.
AcroTray, clone cd tray, ctfmon, hkcmd, igfxpers, igfxtray, mm_tray, nero check, pdvdserv, smaxpnp, jusched, winamp, the other ones are my antivirus programs. Thanks for any help.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 12:43:57 PM »
A quick Google search reveals the purpose of all of these .exes
You don't really need any of them, but some of them provide easy-to-find options in the system tray so you may not want to eliminate them
Google all of the names of the .exes and see what you think, just click the first or second link on each search to get some detailed info about the program and its functions
As for duplicate programs, have you tried using CCleaner (get the link from the software FAQ) to clean your startup entries?  It will remove redundant entries that are not there, eg startup items for uninstalled programs
Hope this helps, and if you need more help just ask

1101doc

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 01:28:53 PM »
CCleaner is good and a basic tool, but you may want another startup control program like
WinPatrol, Whst's Running, or Windows Inspector.  These offer enchanced user interface and
other features as well.  All available free.

Ctfmon has to do with Languages.  Go to: Control Panel>Regional and Language Options>
Languages>Details>Advanced.  Under System Configuration, uncheck the box that says:
"Turn off advanced text services."

jusched is the automatic java updater.  If you'd rather do it manually and stop this process
go to:Control Panel>Java>Updates and uncheck "Check for updates automatically."
You'll get a scary dialog, just answer YES. Then remember to periodically manually update your java.

I don't recognize the others, but the above advice is good.  Google'em.  Process Library offers a neat little add-on for Taskmanager that takes you to their process database about any process,
and Sysinternals offer a Process Explorer that is what Taskmanager wants to be when it grows up.

For someone who is interested in this kind of stuff, you'll find both very helpful.

You may want to add to you antispyware kit.  Spybot  and A-Squared are both good freeware.

Good Luck.  Glad to learn that it's nothing bad.

--1101doc

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:55:13 PM »
Startup CPL by Mike Lin is a fine app...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "