Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows, I think  (Read 5035 times)

Sami Khwaja

Windows, I think
« on: September 28, 2004, 01:15:10 PM »
I really don't know what to do here.  Whenever I start up my computer, everything seems to be working except that the taskbar does not show up.  I can press "cntrl alt delete" and the task manager will pop up, and can even "start new task" to bring up command prompt or msconfig, but playing around with it I can't seem to get the taskbar or any icons working.  Basically, the whole desktop is just blank, besides my background and mouse pointer.  Any ideas?  I'm clueless on the subject.  

sumguy

Re: Windows, I think
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 01:18:56 PM »
Also, I'm using xp, and I can get into the setup in the beginning but again I don't know what to do with it.  The specs on my computer are as follows:

Dell Dimension 8200
1.5 ghz
128 sd ram
20 gig hd

Uh anything else just post.  I'm not great with computers but I can usually fix problems by myself.  Help please!

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 01:33:35 PM »
When did this problem first occur?

See if you can boot into safemode and scan for viruses, spyware and trojans.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 02:04:42 PM »
Right click on the desktop, choose properties and click on customize desktop and tick the boxes for your icons or hit the setup default tab..for you task bar right click on the bottom of the screen...properties tab and untick the taskbar box...and click lock taskbar click it...

sumguy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 02:50:30 PM »
Raptor - This problem occured very recently, but I have always had problems starting up the laptop, problems usually consisting of the welcome screen just stopping.  I would usually just manually shut it down by the power button and try rebooting again.  I can reboot into safe mode, but the same problem occurs.  The desktop is completely blank but only a mouse pointer and the words "Safe Mode" written on each corner of the screen.  

merlin_2 - Although the mouse pointer shows up, it does not allow me to right click on the desktop.  My mouse moves around but the clicks don't work on the desktop.  They work when I bring up task manager however.  

The laptop was working fine before this happened, and I just recently checked for viruses and spyware with no negative results.  I can open up command prompt and basically everything seems to be working fine when I bring up the task manager, it's just a matter of my desktop being completely inactive.  

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 03:16:32 PM »
re-boot laptop and hit keep tapping the  f8 and <safemode> chose last good config....does this happen when the laptop is on for a while?icons restore>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279769

sumguy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 03:21:45 PM »
I tried last good configuration but the same thing happened.  I tried getting into safe mode as well but the same thing happens.  Is this a kind of virus or something wrong with the hardware?

One last thing, everytime the computer reboots it says "memory decreasing, hit F1 to continue."  I do this and the laptop usually just boots up again.  Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but it's been happening for a while.