Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connect to school area.  (Read 5591 times)

magic_plank

Connect to school area.
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:41:35 AM »
I don't know if this has been asked before.

At school we each have our own area with all our files on it. We are issued with an user name and password to log onto one of the 300-ish school computers (That boot from the network) and log into the domain (I think thats the right word) 'EDUCATION', where default settings and programs load up no matter what computer you are on. The only thing that varies is your own personal files are accesible.
From here we can work or use the internet.

Is there a way to connect to my home area from home so I can do homework quickly and easily?

I use Ubuntu linux on a 800mhz PIII with 310MB ram.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:43:17 AM by magic_plank »

GX1_Man

Re: Connect to school area.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 10:19:03 AM »
You would have to be given access to the system and a method to do so by the admin of the domain. There is no way you can do it without the proper authorities knowing (that we could help with anyway).

Try talking to them.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:05:36 PM »
    Proph......  LOL .......
    He might be willing to help ?
    http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?action=viewprofile;username=dl 65

Iwould ,If I could, but alas , Ican't.

GX1_Man's  suggestion might be worth a go .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

mcf747

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 02:19:31 AM »
      wow I never know you could boot of of a server. I run the server in my district and I just have the documents, e-mail, printers, and shared folders on the server. Every computer has its own programs, and  a local settings folder for everly user loged in, that folder is local. It contains basicly there visual settings and their desktop thats it.
      Out of cureosity by any chace do you know what OS your school's server is runing.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
        • Yes
        • JSPCRepair
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:39:08 PM »
      most likely windows 2000 server or windows 2003 server.
      Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.