Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No icons/start bar - please help  (Read 2207 times)

Leem_9000

No icons/start bar - please help
« on: November 24, 2006, 03:17:04 PM »
Hi there, I really hope someone can help me as I'm at my wits end here. My problem is this:
Whenever I try to switch on my computer windows will load but I can only see my background - no icons, no start bar, no anything. Right clicking doesnt work, however I can open the task manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL and from here I can open certain programmes. I have tried everything I can think of over the past month (when the problem began) but I'm stuck. I also get a message upon start up saying that my version of Windows XP is illegal and I may be the victim of counterfieting, this has only started happening since the other problem started - but I bought my cpu etc legally and windows was already installed. To make matters worse I dont have a copy of Windows on CD, only a restore CD that restores everything to original settings (thus loosing my data). I have tried the solutions given in the FAQ thread relating to this (ie - typing explorer.exe in task manager - but the start bar simply flashes up for a brief second and dissapears. I have also installed the Nimba virus fix that was linked with no success.) I currently dont have a anti virus installed (stupid I know) as my last one (bullguard) went mental so I uninstalled it and was saving for another. I have quite a lot of video data (51 GB worth as I do a lot of video editing) - which I can still view through the task manager - but can't edit as my copy of Adobe Premier wont work. I have a 1GB memory and a couple of writable CDs but its a lot of info to save. I have just bought a 250GB external hard drive (USB) but I cant transfer to this as for some reason the CPU wont recognise it - I have a feeling its because its new hardware and may need setting up - but since I have no start menu I cant. Is there a way to install new hardware through the task manager? At least this way I can transfer my data then do a system restore. If not its going to take a lot of time to transfer. Ideally I'd like to be able to fix my cpu without the reboot but its looking less likely.
My computer is around 1 year old, 200GB hard drive, 1 GB memory, ATI Radeon, AMD 64 athalon and Platina model.
Any help anyone can give would be most appreciated.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: No icons/start bar - please help
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 03:24:48 PM »
     Leem_9000  .... Have you tried to reboot into safe mode and see if it will load ?

I also get a message upon start up saying that my version of Windows XP is illegal and I may be the victim of counterfieting

Hummm  , that suggests your system has failed the WGA test ...... Did you purchase the system from a reputable retailer ?

You could also try removing the hard drive an set it up as a slave in another machine and see if you can recover your needed info .........   then put the drive back in it's own home and use the restore cd to redo it .....

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Leem_9000

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 03:29:03 PM »
    It was bought from a reputable retailer - a chain known as The Computer Shop over hear in England. But here is the best part, they have since gone bust (folded) and my support helpline is nolonger there. Great!  >:(

Removing the hard drive and making it a slave would be difficult as a) I dont know how to do it and b) dont have access to another cpu - but its something I can look into. Thanks for the suggestion dl65, its appreciated.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 03:29:16 PM »
    When you press and hold down the Ctrl (Control) key and press the Esc (Escape) key on your keyboard, do you see the Start menu and taskbar?

If not, you can try to restore your computer to the last known good configuration:

1. Start the computer and then press the F8 key when Windows begins to start. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

2. Use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

3. If a boot menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER. Windows XP restores the computer to the most recent restore point.

If you can get to the Start menu, you can use the System Restore utility:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/restore.mspx

« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:30:34 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Leem_9000

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 03:32:12 PM »
    I've tried that but met with the same results. Same as opening in Safe Mode. But I'll give it another go, thanks.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »
    If System Restore and Last Kown Good do not work, your only option might be a repair installation:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Leem_9000

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:05:51 PM »
    Thanks pcdoc4christ - I'll bear that in mind. It does mean paying for a copy of windows XP but, to be honest, I don't think that will be a bad thing as it sounds like an essential thing to have. I guess I've learnt my lesson the hard way never to buy a computer without a Windows CD - if you ask me companies that are selling a computer with windows installed should be MADE to give you the CD, afterall, you're paying for the operating system too. These reboot CDs are just no good. But I guess thats a rant for another thread.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 06:59:17 PM »
    A restore CD is definitely NOT the same as a real Windows CD but some people seem to like the convenience, not knowing the limitations. They are the same ones who would probably have a very difficult time installing Windows, drivers, etc.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 07:29:53 PM »
    « Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 07:52:35 PM by GX1_Man »

eaglestrike7339

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 12:12:08 PM »
    my computer has the same issue, except that the version of windows that is installed was the same software installed by the company, Emachines. I have downloaded multiple programs from the windows website, and it has worked as a valid copy of windows.