Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: private sharing  (Read 5147 times)

mido

private sharing
« on: December 02, 2006, 10:04:33 AM »
hey ,

i have a 4-port ADSL router , shared between me and 2 of my neighbours ....  the last port i use to share stuff between my laptop and my PC .... so i want to make private network (not seen by neighbours ) so that i can do secure sharing without them seeing my shared files ...

in other words , i want to setup a network inaccessible by my neighbours ..... i am using windows XP SP2

thabks in advance

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: private sharing
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:11:06 PM »
    mido....  The router that's providing access to the internet is yours .....correct ?
    Do you have file sharing enabled .....because if you don't your neighbours wouldn't have have any access to your machines ........  If you want a second opinion ....... Rob Pomeroy is very good on network issues.

I hope this assists you .

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 01:13:54 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

mido

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 12:23:53 AM »
    mido....  The router that's providing access to the internet is yours .....correct ?
    Do you have file sharing enabled .....because if you don't your neighbours wouldn't have have any access to your machines ........  If you want a second opinion ....... Rob Pomeroy is very good on network issues.

I hope this assists you .

yes dl65 .... the router is mine .... and the file sharing is enabled ..... and that's what i want coz i want to share files between the PC and the laptop without them having access to these files ....

hey Rob Pomeroy , what's ur word about that ?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 12:29:20 AM »
      mido......  what about the other 2 machines ? ( your neighbours ) are they setup to fileshare and are they setup on the same work group?

I think you should be able to have their machines accessing the net thru the router , but you can file share with your machines only.

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:15:53 AM »
      Unless you have a sophisticated router that can manage VLANs (virtual LANs), the only way of doing this is to rely on filesharing and strong passwords.  Personally I would not do this unless I had supreme trust in my neighbours.  The reason being that if they are connected to the same router as you, it is trivial for them to sniff and crack passwords on your LAN and gain access to your computer/laptop.

Are you sure you wish to proceed?

Could a mod move this to networking, perhaps?
      « Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 11:16:19 AM by robpomeroy »
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

mido

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 12:40:54 PM »
      Unless you have a sophisticated router that can manage VLANs (virtual LANs), the only way of doing this is to rely on filesharing and strong passwords.  Personally I would not do this unless I had supreme trust in my neighbours.  The reason being that if they are connected to the same router as you, it is trivial for them to sniff and crack passwords on your LAN and gain access to your computer/laptop.

Are you sure you wish to proceed?

Could a mod move this to networking, perhaps?

yea why not .... let's proceed

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 02:47:43 PM »
      Can you give me the make and model of your router?  Lets see if it can do anything clever.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos