Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Losing connection on stand-by  (Read 8389 times)

AdamChicago

Losing connection on stand-by
« on: November 24, 2006, 02:15:44 PM »
I recently installed NetGear RangeMax. Everything works with only one flaw. ONLY SOMETIME when putting the PC in stand by mode I will lose the Internet connection when waking it up. The standby can be just a few hours or as long as overnight, and like I said sometimes it loses it and sometimes it does not. I used to restart the PC to reconnect but I learned today that I can get the connection by turning off and on both the modem and router. But why are they losing the IP address when only the PC is shut down? Any suggestions.  [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Losing connection on stand-by
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 02:40:56 PM »
DHCP error, I'll bet.  Try assigning a static IP address, gateway and DNS to your computer.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

AdamChicago

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
How do I do that? [smiley=embarassed.gif]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »
Click on the "networks" word in his sig...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mcf747

Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 05:21:49 PM »
    I have found this a problem too. I was ableto figure out that is you reset the router you can reconet without restarting your computer. I keep mine un-incripted but I use the mac address list, because I have found that changing the setting even the name causes problem in certain situations. If that all doesn't work change the wierless chanel to either 11; 9; 6

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 02:22:30 PM »
    Nightmare.  Never use unencrypted wireless communications.  Yes, a MAC filter prevents anyone from connecting to the internet through your router, but it doesn't prevent anyone from listening to your unencrypted network traffic, and pulling out of that whatever you send in plain text.  Very bad idea.  You should either use encrypted wireless or hard cables.

Do not compromise in this area; wireless sniffing is a growth industry and thieves want your unencrypted personal data.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos