Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Page description language (PDL) printer error  (Read 13256 times)

gbeard

Page description language (PDL) printer error
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:28:57 PM »
Today while printing a 4 MG newsletter document in Microsoft Publisher 2003, on my HP Pavillion 503n with less than 1G memory, I kept getting an error message: PDL request 016-720. Then the printer (Dell color laser 3110cn) would tell me to press cancel and I had to restart the printer repeatedly to get one or two copies to print at a time. This was a 4 pg document with about 30% color, printing two-sided and it had mail merge addresses. To print 150 copies took over 3 hours, with constantly stopping, shutting off and restarting both the printer and the computer. It printed better when I deleted the mailmerge and printed two pages at a time, rather than the 4 pages. Last month I printed an 11 MG document  in 20 minutes with no error messages. Does this sound like hardware problem, a memory problem, or something with the mailmerge? My Microsoft updates are all current and I've done all the basic housecleaning I can find using System Tools. Thanks for any suggestions.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Page description language (PDL) printer error
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:52:08 PM »
I would delete the printer from the computer. Download the latest drivers from the printer manufacturer. Then install the drivers, and try a test page. Then try the project again. Seen drivers get corrupt before ... Also, how is the printer set up, LPT, USB, or Ethernet?

gbeard

Re: Page description language (PDL) printer error
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 10:07:36 PM »
It's set up by USB. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them this weekend.