Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Start-up problem!  (Read 2620 times)

Hosko

Start-up problem!
« on: December 05, 2006, 05:35:48 PM »
Im new to the forum and so do not understand any of the complicated terminologies said here, so simple explanations will be best! (Though I catch on fast.)
Im on the family PC at the moment, mine upstairs keeps freezing every now and again, which is odd because ive never seen XP freeze before. Thiis leads to me rebooting, which works out fine, usually.
But tonight, when I try to reboot, it opens the F8 option window automatically instea dof rebooting, telling me that I may have turned the computer off suddenly (which I had too) and so asks me wether to set up via Safe Mode or normal, or go to last working point.
Ive tried all of these options, but everytime it reaches the screen with the XP logo and blue loading bar, the bar slows down and eventually the PC reboots itself and brings up the F8 window again.
Ive tried all the setup options but all of them just lead to auto re-boot, so theres NO WAY for me to reach my files or anything, at least to my knowledge, I need my PC for college, help! PLEASE!  :-?

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Start-up problem!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »
Sounds like you have a buggy OS. I have had this problem before and I was able to fix it with a simple re-installation of XP. "Re-installing XP fixes everything lol". Sorry for inconvinience, but that is the only thing I can think of that will solve this problem. Hope this help  :).
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:47:05 PM »
Here is a link to the Mothership with instructions on how to enter Recovery Console using your XP CD...

Here Ya Go

Once you have done this follow the instructions to run fixboot and fixmbr and this should work for you.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Hosko

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:33:19 AM »
Here is a link to the Mothership with instructions on how to enter Recovery Console using your XP CD...

Here Ya Go

Once you have done this follow the instructions to run fixboot and fixmbr and this should work for you.

Your advice uis great but its so frustrating becuase it wont let me re-install windows!
The link HERE you posted says, (when saying how to set-up the recovery consol)  'Click Start, and then click Run.'
But I cant get to start to click run! Whenever I inster the XP disk, it says bot from disk, which I do, |(pressing enter) and the screen will come up again asking for it to start normally or safe mode etc, so when I try all of these, the logo and loading bar come up, but again slow down and then the PC reboots,  the only power I have over the PC is the setup menu, that is it to my knowledge, I cant get to the desktop in any way, heeeelp!  :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

merosansarma

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:17:16 PM »
Well, I understand your problem very well and I am really so experienced with this problems since two years. I have only one way to solve this. Do the following: -

a) Get bootable cd of Win98se and use Fdisk. (Save your important documents and programs in other devices before you fix the disk)
b) Format your HDD using Win98se Cd and install few steps of win98se.
c) Get WinXp and install

This is only one way what I know. Best of Luck.

PaGaL Tamang
Computer Operator
Doha, Qatar

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:47:27 PM »
    Hosko......  If your machine won't load in safe mode , or last known good configuration and you are unable to load or access the recovery console , I see no other option  than a format and clean install......... Did you have your important docs backed up ?
    Reboot your machine and enter the bios.
    Set the boot sequence to cd-rom first boot .
    Put the Win XP cd in the cd-rom ...
    Reboot the machine.
    Now you should be able to format the drive ( wipe it clean ) and do a fresh clean install of XP .
    Don't forget that once you have XP installed , install your anti-virus , then go to M/S updates and get all available updates and then proceed to reinstall whatever applications you require.

Hope this helps you .

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 01:48:06 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 04:27:18 PM »
    And unlike the message up above, there is NO NEED to use Win98 boot disks or install any part of Win98, even assuming you have that, etc. Just disregard that and do what DL65 suggests.

The problem is that you do not want to boot from disk. That is the hard drive with the damaged Windows that will not start up.

When you see "Press any key to boot from CD" press a key. If you are not getting this message you have other issues.

Is this a real Windows CD, or a restore CD or what? What does it say exactly on it?

Hosko

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 04:42:05 PM »
    And unlike the message up above, there is NO NEED to use Win98 boot disks or install any part of Win98, even assuming you have that, etc. Just disregard that and do what DL65 suggests.

The problem is that you do not want to boot from disk. That is the hard drive with the damaged Windows that will not start up.

When you see "Press any key to boot from CD" press a key. If you are not getting this message you have other issues.

Is this a real Windows CD, or a restore CD or what? What does it say exactly on it?

Oh ive been a rite nooblet, the disk says 'MS Publisher XP Disk' OMG, so thats why it wasn't booting from CD? Its not the re-install CD?! Ive never noticed that before, ive never had to use it is why!
    If im right and its completely the wrong disk, then im done for because I have no disk with the actual windows instalation on it, so how the *censored* am I going to get one of them?!
    Oh jesus, I hate PC's  :-? :-? :-?
    Plus the disk seems to be a copy, but the last time my PC broke a few months ago, the shop who fdixed it required the CD I mentioned above and its code (as on the packet), so is it thw right one or?!  :-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 04:43:26 PM »
    And do you have a real Windows disc?

Hosko

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 04:55:17 PM »
    And do you have a real Windows disc?

No I don't , how to get one?!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 06:49:44 PM »
    Microsoft. Most Computer stores. Some online retailers such as newegg. I wouldn't suggest getting one from ebay though.

Didn't one come with your machine ? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 07:21:42 PM »
    I was just wondering, in my start-up problem topic, it seems, to save serious money of getting it fixed at a shop, I can siimply buy a new copy of XP from E.g. Ebay and install that myself?
    Would I then need to install the publisher disk that I have now?
    Would this fix my problem and will it be sure to boot from a genuine XP home CD?  :-?

Best Buy has XP Home for $55 this week with no rebate if you are near one.  ;)

Once you have Windows running you caninstall Publisher or whatever else you want.
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 07:22:43 PM by GX1_Man »

Hosko

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 01:07:36 AM »
    Microsoft. Most Computer stores. Some online retailers such as newegg. I wouldn't suggest getting one from ebay though.

Didn't one come with your machine ? ?

No, didn't come with machine, bought it from a friend  :-/