Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD drive is not running  (Read 1760 times)

Dsmith6565

DVD drive is not running
« on: December 03, 2006, 07:49:40 PM »
ok, my father gave me his old computer, only 2 years old. He wanted to clear the hardrive , so he reformatted it and then installed a new windows xp version onto it. It's an HP system unit. first the dvd  drives worked, they played cd's and dvd's, then they just stopped. They would not do anything. They would spin for a second then stop.  He just took one out and put in another brand new dvd writer and now this one will play cd's but not dvd's. The other one still won't work. Also, I noticed under device managers there are a number of usb ports with big yellow question marks next to them. I know at least one works because I ahve my printer plugged in , but I don't think the others do. Can anyone help figure why these drives are not working? As i said, they were at first, now, not. The device manager still sees them and says they are working fine , also, there are no older, backup versions of the drivers to download, i checked that.Also, when i open up my windows player, it recognizes the new dvd drive as a cd drive only. What's the deal there? Does it make a difference which drive slot he put it in?  I know one was for the dvd and the other cd rom; he may have put the new dvd rw in the cd slot. would that make it only able to play cd's and not read dvd's.What's wrong with the top drive. I know a lot of questions but any idea here would be helpful

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: DVD drive is not running
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:00:48 PM »
Rewrite your essay with punctuation and someone will be along shortly...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

Re: DVD drive is not running
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:51:24 AM »
The drives must be jumpered correctly. This is the issue rather than what slot they are in.

http://www.computerhope.com/help/jumpers.htm

The DVD reading software must be installed to play DVD's, although the drive should be correctly identified. Any exclamation marks in Device Manager should be addressd as well.

More details could be helpful.