Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Losing my local area connection  (Read 6671 times)

RC_CAVEMAN

Losing my local area connection
« on: November 24, 2006, 12:06:50 AM »
 Ok for some reason I am losing my connection to the net.  This started happening shortly after I installed the microshite .net1.1 and service pack (needed for a control console for a battlefield2 server).  Now my computer loses its connection at random times (usually 20-40 mins after I start it) and will not renew the ip address until I restart the computer.  I have tried uninstalling .net 1.1 and bf2  and it seemed to fix this, but I can't say for sure since I was unable to wait very long before I had to use the bf2cc console again.    The next time I tried to install .net 2.0 so that I could use the bf2cc console and it is happening again.  Uninstalling .net 2.0 and reinstalling bf2 hasn't fixed this problem.  Anyone have any ideas for what to do next?

Specs:
MB: asus a8n32sli-deluxe
CPU: amd 64 x2 4400+
RAM: 2gb corsair xms
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 12:08:40 AM by RC_CAVEMAN »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Losing my local area connection
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 01:26:05 AM »
Please give details of your network card.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

RC_CAVEMAN

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 03:13:46 AM »
oops

Its on the mobo.  And yes I have run antispyware programs such as spybot and adaware but only the free versions (don't know if there is that big of a difference between those ad the retail ones).

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 03:24:57 AM »
Its on the mobo.
Still need the manufacturer and model please.  Have a look in the software FAQ for one of the system information programs, if you're stuck getting this info.  (See the link in my signature.)

RC_CAVEMAN

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 05:59:27 AM »
its a marvell yukon 88e8053 pci-e gigabit ethernet controller

Under network adapters it also shows a 1394 adapter (made by microsoft/ texas instruments ohci compliant ieee) and a nvidia nforce networking controller

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 02:49:58 PM »
The 1394 relates to Firewire, not networking so it's a bit of a red herring.

I'm interested by the other two items.  Why do you have a gigabit card?  How many network ports are the on your machine?

The most obvious thing to do first is to obtain the latest drivers for the two network cards.  Have you tried that?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:01:29 PM »
Personally i would spend ten bucks and get a new ethernet card and be done with it.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

RC_CAVEMAN

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 06:41:28 AM »
Yeah I tried the driver thing for the Marvell yukon  and the nvidia controller.  But, the prob is still there.

Do you have any clue as to what files/folders/reg changes are made when you install .net?  Even though I have uninstalled .net, I can still use the ingame admin for BF2.  This shouldnt be possible if the .net framework is not on your computer.  Possible conflict with it and something else on this computer?

It has 2 ports.  One is controlled by the marvell yukon and the other is controlled by the nvidia.  I can connect the one controlled by the nvidia and I it says there is a connection, but I cant go online with it.  

Not sure why its a gigabit ethernet, its just what came on the mobo.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 06:50:50 AM by RC_CAVEMAN »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 02:29:05 PM »
Microsoft software has a habit of not uninstalling completely.  You could see if CCleaner and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner can remove .NET's entrails, but personally I'd be very surprised if it helps.  Worth a shot.

Patio's suggestion is easily the path of least resistance.  Failing that, you may be looking at a complete reinstall.