Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista: Ready? I think not.  (Read 21059 times)

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • That's not Data!
    Windows Vista: Ready? I think not.
    « on: December 04, 2006, 12:34:37 PM »
    The new windows, called windows Vista, is very, very resource hungry and expensive. I honestly do not believe that anyone is actually ready to shell out for a new computer just to downgrade to windows Vista. It is exactly the same as Windows XP with a new shell. The Pro is the new Shell. The cons include Performance and Co$t.
    Performance:
    Here is the requirements for Windows Vista:
    Decent CPU
    512MB of RAM. (WOW, definately a resource-hog).
    5GB for the OS on you hard disk
    dedicated graphix card
    Here is what is REALLY needed:
    Good CPU
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    10GB for the OS
    Geforce 6300LE or better
    Starting to get what I mean???

Remember, Windows XP says it needs 128MB, It is unbearably slow unless you've at the very LEAST 160MB. Soo... Windows Vista needs about 640MB at the very least!!! That's four TIMES the resources that Windows XP needs!!! Get XP or 2000, but not Vista.

Co$t:

Windows Vista is a very expensive piece of software. To upgrade from WIN2K or older requires $130. To upgrade from WINXP requires $30. To install OEM requires $230. These price$ are for the Basic version!!! The pro cost about twice as much!!!

Now... Let's compare Windows Vista to Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy.
              Vista     Linux
    Co$t:  $230     $0
    CPU:   P4        P3
    RAM:   1GB     256MB
    HDD:   5GB     1.5GB
    GFX:   G6300   any

Kubuntu is a winner!!! Vista loses miserably.

These are my opinions. Mixed with facts.
    System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    1024MB DDR400
    GeForce 7600GS
    160GB SATA II
    500-watt PSU
    Techforumz.tk

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows Vista: Ready? I think not.
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:40:55 PM »
    Yes, Ubuntu/Linux may seem better to you (and to me, if it would just work on my system...), but consider the following:
    Most of your average joe computer users aren't even aware that there even is an alternative to Microsoft software
    Even if they know there are alternatives, they feel more comfortable with Windows
    Perhaps they can't be bothered to switch, perhaps their favourite programs don't work, or whatever, many people don't want to switch to linux
    I agree that Vista is a resource hog, but it is not just "XP with a new shell"
    It includes many new features, such as DX10/D3D10, security enhancements, usability enhancements, support for hybrid HDDs, ReadyBoost, and so on
    Personally I don't plan on upgrading any time soon, if at all (although I may be forced to when Vista-only games come out), but I just thought I'd put a word in for Vista
    I don't like Microsoft software either, I only use it when I am forced to

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • That's not Data!
      « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:56:04 PM »
      Yes, Ubuntu/Linux may seem better to you (and to me, if it would just work on my system...), but consider the following:
      Most of your average joe computer users aren't even aware that there even is an alternative to Microsoft software
      Even if they know there are alternatives, they feel more comfortable with Windows
      Perhaps they can't be bothered to switch, perhaps their favourite programs don't work, or whatever, many people don't want to switch to linux
      It includes many new features, such as DX10/D3D10, security enhancements, usability enhancements, support for hybrid HDDs, ReadyBoost, and so on
      Personally I don't plan on upgrading any time soon, if at all (although I may be forced to when Vista-only games come out), but I just thought I'd put a word in for Vista

I'm not switching to vista no matter what. I'm getting 1GB of RAM Thats the minimum to use it (yes I realize it says 512MB, but does XP work with 128MB???). All those features you just mentioned can be used under XP with the right software. Of course, M$ is not going to release that software. Nobody would buy Vista (Or maybe they'd be forced to...). I'm just fine with Windows 98. The only problem is hardware support. Nvidia doesn't make drivers for it. I wonder if ATI does...
      System Specs:
      AMD Athlon 64 3200+
      1024MB DDR400
      GeForce 7600GS
      160GB SATA II
      500-watt PSU
      Techforumz.tk

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 10:44:17 AM »

I'm not switching to vista no matter what. I'm getting 1GB of RAM Thats the minimum to use it (yes I realize it says 512MB, but does XP work with 128MB???). All those features you just mentioned can be used under XP with the right software. Of course, M$ is not going to release that software. Nobody would buy Vista (Or maybe they'd be forced to...). I'm just fine with Windows 98. The only problem is hardware support. Nvidia doesn't make drivers for it. I wonder if ATI does...
      Fine by me, don't switch to Vista.  Many people won't, and nor will I until I need to or until I'm convinced that it's worthwhile.
      Vista is only an interim release anyway, most of the important features have been dropped because it's so badly behind schedule (supposed to be released around 2004).
      Of course MS wouldn't release software like that, otherwise they woudn't make the money that they do.  It's good business pratice (good for them, not the consumer).  It is/will be freely available from other companies though.
      And yes, those features can be used under XP, but does average Joe know that?  Probably not.  that's why average Joe will upgrade to Vista.
      Oh yes, and there was a rumour going round that MS is dropping support for XP Home (not Pro, that gets 5 more years at least) as soon as Vista is released.  So lots of people are going to be left out in the cold there, uness the rumour was false.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 11:34:06 AM »
      Oh yes, and there was a rumour going round that MS is dropping support for XP Home (not Pro, that gets 5 more years at least) as soon as Vista is released.  So lots of people are going to be left out in the cold there, uness the rumour was false.

From another Forum i belong to:  Kudos to Ken.

Microsoft quietly extends XP Home support

1/12/2006 6:24:07 PM, by Ken "Caesar" Fisher

Earlier this month I reported that Windows XP Home would be leaving Mainstream Support at the end of this year, and I called on Microsoft to extend XP Home support in a similar fashion to the support already enjoyed by Windows XP Professional. Surprised that the support date had not yet been extended, I contacted Microsoft and was told that support would in fact end at the end of this year. Perhaps the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, because in a little over a week, things have changed.

The good news is that Microsoft appears to be making an exception to the way it normally treats "consumer products," and has explicitly extended Windows XP Home support to "two years after the next version of this product is released," that is, two years after the release of Windows Vista. Microsoft has also extended the Mainstream Support lifespan of other products that were on borrowed time, including Media Center Editions 2002, 2004, and 2005, and XP Tablet edition. They will all also get the two year extension, which by our estimates means that they will receive support until the end of 2008. Windows XP Professional will see support well beyond 2011.

So-called "consumer" products typically only receive five years of mainstream support, and after this period, they are no longer patched and paid support is not offered (online materials will still be available). Business software, on the other hand, gets five years of Mainstream Support, followed by an additional five years of Extended Support, which prolongs security updates and the potential for paid support.

After this Home will still be supported online for an undetermined timeframe...
      « Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 11:35:36 AM by patio »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 11:39:13 AM »
      I see, thanks for clearing that up.
      So-called "consumer" products typically only receive five years of mainstream support, and after this period, they are no longer patched and paid support is not offered (online materials will still be available). Business software, on the other hand, gets five years of Mainstream Support, followed by an additional five years of Extended Support, which prolongs security updates and the potential for paid support.
      That was what I was referring to, although I couldn't remember the exact details.

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • That's not Data!
        « Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 04:56:11 PM »

Fine by me, don't switch to Vista.  Many people won't, and nor will I until I need to or until I'm convinced that it's worthwhile.
        Vista is only an interim release anyway, most of the important features have been dropped because it's so badly behind schedule (supposed to be released around 2004).
        Of course MS wouldn't release software like that, otherwise they woudn't make the money that they do.  It's good business pratice (good for them, not the consumer).  It is/will be freely available from other companies though.
        [highlight]And yes, those features can be used under XP, but does average Joe know that?  Probably not.  that's why average Joe will upgrade to Vista.[/highlight]

I still don't get why it's such a resource-hog. Even XP with that software and windowblinds installed wouldn't take that much RAM. I don't understand why everyone pays $500 for m$ office 200x when openoffice is free? Even Corel office isn't that expensive. I think corel 12 is about $200. The way I see it is that the only time anyone needs windoze is when they play games. That means me. Everything else has software for linux. Windoze emulation is just too slow and M$ recently put in that stupid activation junk. I try to avoid Micro$oft at all cost.
        System Specs:
        AMD Athlon 64 3200+
        1024MB DDR400
        GeForce 7600GS
        160GB SATA II
        500-watt PSU
        Techforumz.tk

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »
        I don't understand why everyone pays $500 for m$ office 200x when openoffice is free?
        Me neither.  And M$ wonder why people pirate their software . . .

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 01:04:08 PM »
          It's all in the games for me, if it wasn't for that I'd still be booting up in DOS and starting 3.11.
          I still use 3.11 Works for Windows on my W2K machine at work, it runs like a rocket.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 08:06:35 PM »
            LOL ........
            Quote:
            I don't understand why everyone pays $500 for m$ office 200x when openoffice is free?

What I find so amusing is , with all the users out there who continually flame MicroSoft ....... about all the trouble and issues that their software apparently causes . Why on earth is the piracy of MicroSoft at all time highs ?
            [size=20]Hummmmmmmm[/size]

dl65  ::)
            If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 04:30:01 AM »
            I wonder what percentage of those posting here with XP Pro problems have bootleg software? I would suspect 75% (and that's generous).  ;)

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 08:00:28 AM »
            ... I'm just fine with Windows 98. The only problem is hardware support. Nvidia doesn't make drivers for it. I wonder if ATI does...
            What?   :-?  They sure do make drivers for Win 9x: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 09:15:22 AM »
            LOL ........
            Quote:

What I find so amusing is , with all the users out there who continually flame MicroSoft ....... about all the trouble and issues that their software apparently causes . Why on earth is the piracy of MicroSoft at all time highs ?

A very good point.
            Personally, I haven't pirated any M$ software, although we did use a pirated version of XP Pro without realising for a while.
            I wonder what percentage of those posting here with XP Pro problems have bootleg software? I would suspect 75% (and that's generous).   ;)
            Another good point.  Although, can I ask why it's always XP Pro that is assumed to be pirated?
            As soon as anyone says XP Pro your first question is "Is it genuine?"
            Why this suspicion for XP Pro and not other OSes, such as XP Home, Media Centre, or 2k?

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            • That's not Data!
              « Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 08:42:04 PM »
              ... I'm just fine with Windows 98. The only problem is hardware support. Nvidia doesn't make drivers for it. I wonder if ATI does...
              What?   :-?  They sure do make drivers for Win 9x: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html

Not for the 7/8 series. Thats fine because I recently decided that a 6200 was plenty. I don't play a whole lot of games. But when I do, I want good performance. They aren't really resource hungry games either.
              « Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 08:44:51 PM by linuxlover »
              System Specs:
              AMD Athlon 64 3200+
              1024MB DDR400
              GeForce 7600GS
              160GB SATA II
              500-watt PSU
              Techforumz.tk

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              • That's not Data!
                « Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 08:48:03 PM »
                LOL ........
                Quote:

Good point. If you don't like it, don't use it. Linux is free yet everyone is so intent on getting windows. It's not even hard to use. Just remember, no more blue 'e'.
                System Specs:
                AMD Athlon 64 3200+
                1024MB DDR400
                GeForce 7600GS
                160GB SATA II
                500-watt PSU
                Techforumz.tk