Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Defrag on Compaq Presario  (Read 4219 times)

jimbobdog1

Defrag on Compaq Presario
« on: April 02, 2004, 08:23:22 AM »
When trying to defrag a Compaq Presario running 98, I get a message that says "you do not have enough memory to run this" I've closed everything except explorer and systray. Same thing. I've booted in safe mode. Same thing. Scandisk did the same thing but would run in safe mode. Any ideas?

Pete

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Defrag on Compaq Presario
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 09:51:03 AM »
    Is it possible that you do not have enough space on your hard disk? if it is nearing it's capacity there may not be enough space for Windows virtual memory.

I hope this info helps
    Regards
    Pete

merlin

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 01:01:30 PM »
    to free up more memory go in the control panel add/remove stuff like themes etc that you do not use get a cleaner like advanced system optimizer to clean cookies temp files etc ,run scan for virus/worms and  download free ram and allways disable the screensaver when defragging how much  ram have you got

jimbobdog1

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 10:03:46 PM »
    I've got 384mb of RAM. There's one other odd thing - if I go into DOS and use a "mem" command, there's something like 578 k in a reserved status. Could this be part of the problem; I've never seen reserved ram before.

jimbobdog1

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 07:57:57 AM »
    I used google to check on the error message number - DEFRAG009. The guy who had his hands on this machine before used Partition Magic to set up the hard drive. This, along with FAT32 is incompatible with WIN98. The fix is to put the drive in another machine with either XP or 2000, as a slave, and defrag it there. I'm gonna start over and reformat the thing.

merlin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 02:25:24 PM »
    Thats why the out of mem message came up thanks for the feed back its always best to know your own machine :)