Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Accessing Printer Across the Network  (Read 7986 times)

DivineZeal

Accessing Printer Across the Network
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:13:57 PM »
Hello again!!

Waiting for an answer on another problem elsewhere in the forum, I find myself roaming this website trying to read as many posts to learn as much as I can, but alas I have another question!!

I have a home network.  In this home network I have a router, branching to two computers.  One of these computers has a printer.  I want the other computer to be able to print off that printer.  However something that is odd is when I click on "Network Places" I cannot find the other computer.  

My router DOES recognize both machines, and they both gain internet access.  I did NOT use a Windows Wizard to create a Home/Office Network.  

Just something that I've been wondering about...

Thanks a lot!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Accessing Printer Across the Network
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 01:36:47 AM »
Ideally, you need to ensure that these computers are both members of the same workgroup.  You must then switch on printer sharing.  Do you know how to do that?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

DivineZeal

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 10:20:01 AM »
Yup! They are in the same workgroup, but still can't see eachother via network places.  My router recognizes both, but they dont recognize eachother

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 11:16:51 AM »
You need to allow ports 137 to 139 and 1512 on your XP firewalls.  (This is one of the things that the wizard would otherwise do for you.)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:06:45 PM »
    If you're using Norton Internet Security or the McAfee suite, turn off their firewalls.  Both are the biggest PITA when involved with networking.  Now turn on Windows firewall.

Alan <><  :D
    « Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:07:07 PM by ale52 »
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

DivineZeal

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 09:11:21 PM »
    Hey, once I get my computer back together I'll test this out and let you know how it goes! Thanks