Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop won't connect to internet  (Read 7169 times)

compEngineer

Laptop won't connect to internet
« on: December 08, 2006, 12:52:19 PM »
I just got a HP Pavillion dv9000z, but I can't get it to connect to internet through the nvidia nforce wired connection. i keep getting limited or no connectivity warning. i have a cable modem that connects to a linksys switch. my main desktop and my laptop connect through the switch, but I can't get my laptop to work. any ideas? thanks.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Laptop won't connect to internet
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 02:23:59 PM »
try updating your drivers. check crossover cable connections to make sure they are secure, and check the cable itself for defects.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

compEngineer

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 02:41:54 PM »
the drivers are updated and all cables are brand new. is there a difference between a regular cable and a crossover? i'm just using cat5e and a linksys switch. thanks.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 12:19:12 AM »
I think fffreak is a bit confused about the term "crossover".  Yes a crossover cab;e is different from a straight through ethernet cable, but no, you don't need one.

You could try manually configuring your laptop's IP settings - do you know how to do that?  You might want to read the networking FAQ - see my signature.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 12:19:36 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

compEngineer

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 12:27:08 AM »
yeah i know how, but i didn't really want to have to do that because my internet connection changes. sometimes i'm at my parents house and other times at my apt. it happens in both places though and seems to be a problem connecting to dhcp according to ipconfig.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 12:31:12 AM »
At least if you try manual settings, you'll know what's at fault.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

compEngineer

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 12:32:35 AM »
k, i'll try that then