Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Creative Sound Card Install  (Read 2323 times)

matteo

Creative Sound Card Install
« on: December 09, 2006, 10:03:26 AM »
I have an old system (Win98, 4 gig drive, 196 MB RAM) that I am trying to install an old Sound Blaster Card on.  (Can't find newer sound cards that run on 98).

Windows auto detects the card fine and appears to install the correct drivers but I still get no sound.
Device manager sees the card as SB AWE 64 which is the correct model.
No conflicts are listed
I also tried getting the driver from this site but am not sure if it was the right driver. (there were many matches all by different file names)
Creative doesn't support the card any more, but I've found several matches for drivers for it there as well.
Does anyone know the exact driver to use for Win98?

P.S. this is the 3rd differnet Creative card I've tried to install.  Is there something else that needs to be done besides selecting the driver in device manager.

Another thing, I only get sound (pops and clicks) when plugging into the jack on the card
The speakers worked on another PC with integrated sound.

Thanks for helping me revive this old system.  (For my daughters learning games)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Creative Sound Card Install
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 10:06:40 AM »
Are there any #'s at all marked on that card ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 10:10:44 AM »
First make sure that if there is onboard sound that it is disabled in the BIOS.

The drivers, if not on the www.creative.com site can be found at www.driverguide.com

You have to register, but it is free and painless. Then you can sort by operating system, etc. for just what you need. It is best if you have the exact model number CT-4780, etc. which should be on the card OR you can download Everest Home and get it positively identified.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 11:00:45 AM »
I have an old system (Win98, 4 gig drive, 196 MB RAM) that I am trying to install an old Sound Blaster Card on.  ([highlight]Can't find newer sound cards that run on 98[/highlight]).

Windows auto detects the card fine and appears to install the correct drivers but I still get no sound.
Device manager sees the card as SB AWE 64 which is the correct model.
No conflicts are listed
I also tried getting the driver from this site but am not sure if it was the right driver. (there were many matches all by different file names)
Creative doesn't support the card any more, but I've found several matches for drivers for it there as well.
Does anyone know the exact driver to use for Win98?

P.S.[highlight] this is the 3rd differnet Creative card I've tried to install[/highlight].  Is there something else that needs to be done besides selecting the driver in device manager.

Another thing, I only get sound (pops and clicks) when plugging into the jack on the card
The speakers worked on another PC with integrated sound.

Thanks for helping me revive this old system.  (For my daughters learning games)

Since this is the third Creative card you've tried to install, perhaps the problem is deeper than you think.  Are these all used cards?  Do you for sure that nothing is wrong with them?  Have you used the same speakers with all three cards?  Do these speakers have their own power adapter or do they simply run off the sound card?  In other words, do you know for sure that you have the right type speakers for these cards?  

I disagree that new sound cards can not be found that will run on Win 98.  For example, ENCORE ENM232-4C 4 Channels 16-bit PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail.  A manual for this card says:

System Requirements
Windows 95/98/2000, Windows Me, DOS, Window NT 4.0
Intel architecture CPU with MMX instruction set
PII 366 MHz CUP or above (recommended)
32MB System memory
100MB available HDD space
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 11:01:31 AM by soybean »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 11:24:47 AM »
100MB available HDD space

Holy Carp ! !

100 MG. HDD space for sound card software...see how far we've come ! !

:o
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "