Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DirectX/Direct 3D  (Read 12603 times)

songbird

DirectX/Direct 3D
« on: September 19, 2004, 09:14:37 AM »
I too am having a DirectX issue.  Everytime I try to load The Sims 2, I get the following message:

Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!  Please make sure you have Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer.  The application will now terminate.

DXdiag told me I did indeed have DirectX 9.0c and that the hardware wasn't up to speed, so I went and got myself the Sis 530 driver, v. 1.08, (I had had an Sis 530) and DXdiag said there were no problems found, but now says:

Direct3D functionality not available.  You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.

What does all this mean, and what can I do about it?!

Thank you,
songbird

Raptor

Re: DirectX/Direct 3D
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 09:28:16 AM »
Is that an Onboard videocard? I donot think it is DirectX 9 compatible, which may be a requirement for The Sims 2.

I suggest you refer to Electronic Arts website where they have a FAQ and technical support that will be able to tell you wheter your videocard is compatible or not.

songbird

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 09:38:19 AM »
Well, I am not sure what an Onboard video card is, but I have been on techsupport.ea.com, and it has not been very helpful.  All of their info on DirectX is about installing.  DirectX 9.0c came with the game. I downloaded that, and when things didn't work, I got it from the DirectX website.  Plus now that the driver is updated, DXdiag says there are no problems but to check Direct3D functunality, then goes on to say that the functunality test is unavailable.  This is why I think it has to do with Direct3D.  I have searched a lot of website and no one can tell me anything about it....

Anyway, thanks for your advice, but EA hasn't been helpful... -sigh-
songbird

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 10:30:48 AM »
where they have a FAQ and technical support

Contact Technical Support.

As I said, your videocard may not support DirectX 9 technology. I have yet to see a game that refuses to run if that support is  not present, but I haven't tested The Sims 2 yet. Doubt I ever will, though.

On-board
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 10:31:49 AM by Raptor »

saspurs04

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 09:54:20 PM »
Please provide update songbird if you get your sims 2 working because I am having the same problem..and dont know what to do..what kind of video card you have songbird?? wonder if I have the correct video card for the sims 2..

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 06:07:44 AM »
Judging from the error I'd say you need a videocard that is compatible with Direct X9.

Such as the Radeon 9800 Series
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 06:08:09 AM by Raptor »

glynjedwards

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 02:50:32 PM »
I get the same problem and I've got a Geforce 440MX 128mb (Dunno if that's compatable though!) with up to date drivers. I've got DirectX 9.0b on my comp though and have tried to install v 9.0c but when it says to install, it just says it's finished installing. However after trawling through Microsoft's website I found that this means that it doesn't need to install anything on my comp updating wise and that's why it just finishes. Strange!

I'd love to get this game going myself but alas things just aint meant to be.

My suggestion though is that would the game work if songbird unistalled directx 9.0c and installed directx 8.1 or above which the graphic card would support? Surely then the game would work? As for Direct3D, I haven't an answer for you.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 03:03:06 AM »
The game may require a DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics card. That would mean  that the game requires both hardware and software wise, DirectX 9.0 compatability.

I suggest you refer to EA technical support in order to find out.

songbird

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 06:48:34 PM »
No, I've not gotten it to work yet.  Has anyone else?  I'm thinking it must be the video card itself, because the drivers are updated, as is DirectX.  Direct X 9 is what is needed to run the game too....  I'm not sure what kind of card I have.  Where could I find that?

Let me know if you've gotten the game running yet.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 03:25:55 AM »
The name of your videocard can be obtained either by opening your case and inspecting the Video card for stickers and names printed on the plastic or by going to Start -> Run -> Dxdiag -> Monitor tab

songbird

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004, 11:58:39 AM »
Alright, well, I don't have a monitor tab, but I have a display tab...  It doesn't say anything about the video card, but there are a lot of acronyms that I don't understand.  Perhaps one of those means something about the video card?

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2004, 01:57:46 PM »
I have a localized version.  

What markings are there? If it absolutely does not make any sense, you can attempt to view the name by right clicking on My Computer - Manage - Device Manager and then Monitor Adaptors (Freely translated..)