Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Portable 2.5" Hard Drive Problem,  (Read 2355 times)

cbng72

Portable 2.5" Hard Drive Problem,
« on: December 05, 2006, 01:39:58 AM »
Hi guy,

I had a problem with my portable 2.5" 60GB hard drive. It cannot write those files that I copy from my PC. It prompted a message , " Cannot copy XXX files. Cannot find the specified files. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name".
I noticed that the copying timing that show keep going up & down & then after about 15 sec or so it pop out this message as written above. I try on another PC, it also have this problem.

I try using a 512MB thumb drive & it can be copy within 30 sec without any problem. It mean my files or PC do not have any problem.

Can someone, Pls help me. :-?

Thk!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Portable 2.5" Hard Drive Problem,
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 08:53:56 AM »
How are you trying to copy those files ? ?
The error message leads me to believe that drive is OK and you are doing something the machine doesn't understand.
How does that drive show up in Explorer ? ?

Actually post what OS you have since we don't know that info yet as well...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

cbng72

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 04:46:28 AM »
Patio,

1) I copy the whole folder from my PC D: drive to F: drive ( portable hard disk).

2) I am using  Window XP home edition.

3) It show F: drive in the explorer.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 09:05:31 AM »
The reason it is balking is you are trying to copy a drive to a drive...the error message could probably be from something being in use  on one of the 2 drives at the time...

There are many utilities out there that will help with this operation.

Post back with more info on exactly what you want to acxcomplish and we can lead you further.

cbng72

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:07:18 PM »
Patio,

But why can I copy the same folder to my thumb drive without any problem at all. & this problem happened only about 3 weeks ago. Previously it's OK. I feel that there is something wrong with my portable hard disk.
My objective is just to copy the whole folder (with some files inside) from PC D drive: to F: drive (portable hard disk).

BTW, is there any software that can help to check or scan detail error for external or portable hard disk?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:56:58 AM »
Just right click that drive in My Computer and select properties...in the first window clik on diskclean and let it run...then select tools and run error checking on it.
Post back with your results.