Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet from one computer to the ohter  (Read 3966 times)

ge36

Internet from one computer to the ohter
« on: December 14, 2006, 07:29:53 PM »
Hello everyone,
OK, here's the situation, I have two computers, the first one is running win xp and can access the intenet. The second computer is running win 98 and cannot access the internet due to only having connection to the computer with win xp. Now my question is this, Is it possible to access the internet from the same line just by discoonecting the internet from the computer that has win xp which has my ISP provider to the computer with win 98 which has internet explorer, and if so, how would I go about doing so.
Thanks for any help

GX1_Man

Re: Internet from one computer to the ohter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 09:39:29 PM »
Are you on cable, DSL or dial-up? That and other pertinent details are required.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Internet from one computer to the ohter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 12:41:59 PM »
I am assuming you use some sort of broadband from this...
Is it possible to access the internet from the same line just by discoonecting the internet from the computer that has win xp which has my ISP provider to the computer with win 98 which has internet explorer, and if so, how would I go about doing so.

Just use a router or a hub. There is also another alternative (which is cheaper but I wouldn't recommend it), you could have to network adapters in one of your computers and only one in the other computer. You will need a "crossover" ethernet cable to do this not a "straight through" ethernet cable. You have the computer that has the 2 network adapters connected directly to the internet and the other computer must be plugged into the second network adapter.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 12:42:30 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.