Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to disable Recycle Bin without reboot?  (Read 9534 times)

recycle

How to disable Recycle Bin without reboot?
« on: December 14, 2006, 02:29:34 AM »
Hi,

I know that this is one way to disable Recycle bin:
set NukeOnDelete value to 1 in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket

But, after this change, reboot (or at least logoff/logon) must be done so that changes are loaded and only after that Recycle Bin is really disabled.

Can anybody please tell me how I can refresh Recycle Bin settings without reboot or logoff/logon?
Or is there another way to disable Recycle Bin (except right-click on Recycle bin icon -> Properties and check "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin")?
My OS is Windows 2000.

Thanx in advance  :)

GX1_Man

Re: How to disable Recycle Bin without reboot?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:37:44 AM »
Hi,

I know that this is one way to disable Recycle bin:
set NukeOnDelete value to 1 in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket

But, after this change, reboot (or at least logoff/logon) must be done so that changes are loaded and only after that Recycle Bin is really disabled.

Can anybody please tell me how I can refresh Recycle Bin settings without reboot or logoff/logon?
Or is there another way to disable Recycle Bin [highlight](except right-click on Recycle bin icon -> Properties and check "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin")?[/highlight]My OS is Windows 2000.

Thanx in advance  :)

Why do you not want to do this? It is simple and works well. What is the advantage to another way? I just don't understand.  :-?

recycle

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:56:02 AM »
Well, I need to do it using some code.  And right-click is not coding :)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 04:46:33 AM »
Welcome to computerhope 'recycle'. :-? ;D

Why not delete it? ;D

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article05-013
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 04:48:22 AM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

recycle

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 07:13:43 AM »
Welcome to computerhope 'recycle'. :-? ;D

Thank you  :)

Why not delete it? ;D

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article05-013

I'm afraid deleting is out of question.
I was hoping for some peace of code that would disable Recycle Bin, without having to download anything ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:18:41 PM »
We still don't know why...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

recycle

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 02:02:14 AM »
We still don't know why...

Because I want my application to disable Recycle Bin so that user does not have to worry about it, to reboot, to download additional software, or to be surprised :) by sudden dissapearing of RB from his Desktop ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 04:27:18 AM »
Sorry, I still don't get it, see the advantage of this, etc. Why don't you just disable it and delete the icon if it is that much of an issue and is not needed?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:27:55 AM by GX1_Man »

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 05:01:04 AM »
I seem to recall that you can force a registry reload by terminating and restarting explorer.exe.

Note: Please do not confuse explorer.exe with iexplore.exe. Though both highly useful, they are not interchangeable ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:01:30 AM by Sidewinder »
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

recycle

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 07:09:33 AM »
Sorry, I still don't get it, see the advantage of this, etc. Why don't you just disable it and delete the icon if it is that much of an issue and is not needed?

OK, I guess user could except removing icon from Desktop. But how do I make my application do that without reboot and without any additional software?
(BTW I work on Windows 2000 and on Windows 2003 Server)

recycle

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 07:18:25 AM »
I seem to recall that you can force a registry reload by terminating and restarting explorer.exe.

Note: Please do not confuse explorer.exe with iexplore.exe. Though both highly useful, they are not interchangeable ;D

Thank you, that is how I could reload registry without reboot.
But could it be too risky to kill explorer.exe and start it again? Maybe there are some situation where this could cause some kind of disaster ;D

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 11:34:37 AM »
Sometimes explorer.exe may not load again into memory. That's the only problem you may get.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 06:21:19 PM »
I'm going to have to bail on this little bit of insanity. You guys have fun.  ::)