Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: router  (Read 3930 times)

staffraj

router
« on: December 14, 2006, 04:36:07 PM »
hi, i want to connect my laptop to my computer/internet connection via a wireless router. May i ask do i have to look for a specific router or will most do. Also do i need a card to go specifically with the router , or will the one in the laptop do.

My laptop is dell d505 and the card is  dwl-g30 wireless notebook adapter,compatible to 802.11b

thanks staffraj

ps sorry for posting this originally in the wrong section
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 04:47:36 PM by staffraj »

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: router
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 11:25:59 PM »
Hey ... You can get any wireless router as long as it supports B for your adapter. Wireless B is fine as long as you dont have a need for large file transfers. I still use wireless B since the connection is 11mbps and the internet connecton is around 4.5mbps. If the bottleneck opens up to the internet for me past 11mbps, then I will invest in replacing my wireless B router with a newer 54+mbps wifi router.

If you look, you can find like a wireless Linksys Router Bundled with a Wireless Card... They usually offer promos this way. Otherwise I would buy a Linksys wireless router and get a Linksys card to make setup easy...

Be sure to change the default password to the wireless router to avoid hackers pocking into your wireless router. Also use a security protocol like WEP or WPA, MAC filtering, and limit the number of concurrent leases through the DHCP of the router to keep out intruders.

Dave

bayern

Re: router
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 06:03:28 AM »
Actually, most laprtops made in the past two years have wireless build in, your's included. So you don't need a wireless card , just a wireless router. I use linksys WRT54G, it's easy to setup and reliable.

B.