Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cd- burner broken  (Read 5190 times)

cronohl

Cd- burner broken
« on: December 16, 2006, 12:26:28 AM »
Simple:
Shoved two cds into a cd-rw driver and now it wont burn and it wont read my cds eather.

If anyone knows the inner workings of a cd-rw driver and might know whats wrong can you give me some help

GX1_Man

Re: Cd- burner broken
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 02:29:34 AM »
Short:

Laser probably damaged and drive will need to be replaced. No user servicable parts.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 02:29:58 AM by GX1_Man »

homer

Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 03:04:55 AM »
    in order to troubleshoot the drive you must first remove the metal case around the drive, leaving the tray and laser visible. you will need to turn on your pc with the cd rom drive attached to see if the laser is working and to see if it is moving (the IDE/SATA cable does not have to be attached, only the power cable). be very careful while the comp is on. if the laser moves up and down once the cd tray has been ejected then closed (laser is attempting to read cd), then the gears are not the problem, the laser is. and as GX1_Man previously stated, it will need to be replaced.

BTW do not look directly into the laser...its not good for your eyes.

cronohl

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 03:54:36 PM »
    Are u sure i should be opening up my computer i have no idea whats inside there.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:43:45 PM »
    Are u sure i should be opening up my computer i have no idea whats inside there.

Open it up and find the wonderful world of the computer and have fun trying to put it back together too, takes alot of screws.
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:33:18 PM »

No, you should not. Just replace the drive.

homer

Expert
      « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 09:24:18 PM »
      if you do not know the internals of the computer, and are not comfortable disassembling and reassembling it, it would be best to follow GX1_Man's suggestion.

cronohl

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 12:18:02 AM »
      Wont i have to open the computer to replace the drive?

homer

Expert
        « Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 12:26:53 AM »
        yes you will. but it is alot easier to simply replace the old drive with a new one rather then taking apart the old one.

to replace the  drive all you have to do is unplug the power cable, unplug the IDE/SATA cable, and loosen a few screws that secure the drive.
        « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 12:29:36 AM by homer »

cronohl

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 12:32:33 AM »
        If im guna take it out and replace it might as well take it apart, right sence ill probly just toss it aside

btw how much is this cd drive guna set me back?

homer

Expert
          « Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 02:26:49 AM »
          its about $15-$30 for a cd burner.

yeah, you might as well take it apart anyways. if you can get it to work again, great, saves you about $20; if not, you get the experience on how a cd drive is assembled. :)
          « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 02:28:40 AM by homer »

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 07:13:22 AM »
          A DVD burner is about $40 delivered. You can replace the existing drive in about 10 minutes.

When you get that old drive disassembled what are you going to do with it? Other than a curiosity, what is the point of that drill?

cronohl

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 04:09:26 PM »
          I think ill be takeing it out like on tuseday, when i got some time.

As for taking it apart i was thinking of maybe fixing it some how. ;D

Ole_Man

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 04:25:44 PM »
          Whatcha thank'n about fix'n it with? . . . . . . a hammer!  ;D

homer

Expert
            « Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 04:53:51 PM »
            i prefer a shotgun. ;D

you could try following the advice i gave you earlier on troubleshooting if you want to attempt a repair.

my guess is that the gears timing is off (the gears that raise the laser to meet the cd) or the motor that makes the cd spin has been burnt out due to the excessive load placed on it by the 2 cd's.
            « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 04:56:54 PM by homer »