Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: driver problem  (Read 2059 times)

hd4lg

driver problem
« on: December 16, 2006, 04:21:51 PM »
I have a problem that is driving me nuts!!!!! When I went to start my computer it started to boot when it got to the black screen it stopped. It booted into safe mode with networking just fine which tells me that it is probably a driver issue. When I go to Start\Run to type in MSCONFIG the text does not showup in the Run text box. When I tried to Google the nVidia web site I got the same response. The text did not appear in the search box. I tried to reboot again into safe mode but when it got to the "Windows is shutting down" screen the computer froze there. I had to use the power button to shut it down. I restarted the computer and booted into Safe mode with command prompt. When The command prompt window came up I tried to type in chkdsk but the text would not appear. All I got was a flashing cursor. I have also tried to use the Windows XP installation disc but I get a message that says the version of Windows is newer than the version on the disc and it would go no further. I should also mention that when all this started I received a BSOD that said that nv4_disp.dll was caught in an infinite loop. After I reinstalled the drivers for the graphics card it stopped.The computer booted into normal mode but the video was shaky. I rebooted into safe mode and the problems mentioned earlier started.  Here are some of the other things I have tried:

1. Uninstalled the current driver for the nVidia graphics card and reinstalled it. (no change)
2. Swapped graphics cards with one that I knew works (no change)
3. Checked all PCI and the AGP video card to make sure they were seated properly (no change)

Please help me!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 04:25:46 PM by hd4lg »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: driver problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 05:25:09 PM »
    Try a PS2 keyboard.

hd4lg

Re: driver problem
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »
    Thanks for the idea Fed but I have tried that and no luck. I guess I should have mentioned that. Sorry.