Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restore Windows XP Pro to New Different Harddrive  (Read 2002 times)

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Restore Windows XP Pro to New Different Harddrive
    « on: December 17, 2006, 03:37:49 PM »
    I just bought a new 400 GB Seagate HDD.  I have a 80 GB Seagate HDD which contains only Windows XP Pro, many installed programs, all totalling 6.21 GB of info.  All data is on a differnet HDD.  I want to replace the 80 GB HDD with the 400 GB HDD and copy the Op Sys and installed programs to the 400 GB using Norton Ghost.  I would then partion the new 400 GB HDD into 4 partions with PQ Magic.  Will this work?  Will I be able to boot off the new HDD or do I have to reinstall Windows?  I don't know if Windows would allow this because they are different HDD's with different sizes.  I've used Norton Ghost before to clone and restore a HDD from the orginal backup.  I've never used Norton Ghost to restore a HDD from a different HDD backup, and boot from it.

Steps
    1. Using Norton Ghost, create backup of orginal Op Sys/Installed programs from the 80 GB HDD to DVD(s).
    2. Replace the 80 GB HDD with 400 GB HDD.  Make sure jumpers are set to master.
    3. Boot up with the Norton Ghost CD.  Select option to restore.  Confirm boot.ini is correct.  Confirm 400 GB HDD is set to Active and Primary.
    4. Reboot to 400 GB HDD and have everything work.
    5. Run disck check on 400 GB HDD.
    6. Partion 400 GB HDD into 4 partions, first for Op Sys, then the other 3 for data.

Am I missing something?  Will this work?  Will my programs recognize they are now on a different HDD and not work?

GX1_Man

Re: Restore Windows XP Pro to New Different Harddr
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 06:39:10 PM »
    You will need to partition the new drive before you load the image file to it removing the need for Partition Magic OR install with the image file to the entire hard drive and then use Partition Magic to split it up. I know Acronis True Image well and it does this with ease. I would assume Ghost is similar.

If it were me, I would not invest in Partition Magic, as this seems an unnecessary expense and a source for error.

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 06:46:55 PM »
      Yes, your first suggestion would definelty be quicker.  Thanks.

I already bought PQ Magic.  I've heard good things about Acronis.

PQ Magic has been fine, once I figured out how partitions worked.  I got into a bit of trouble before that.  I really like the browser feature.  It enables you to read/copy from a hidden partition.

Boot Magic on the other hand, which can be installed with PQ Magic, is useless.  It caused me a ton of headaches.
      « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 06:47:14 PM by timrob »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 04:42:10 AM »
      That is the dangfer of Partition Magic. It does require basic understanding of how it is doing it's work. I prefer the "natural" approach.  ;)