Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LAN between XPSP2 and Win Me  (Read 3961 times)

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

LAN between XPSP2 and Win Me
    « on: December 21, 2006, 06:41:27 PM »
    Salam all,

I have a LAN in the house hooking two computers..one has XPSP2 and the other has Win Me .. the trouble i am having is that eveytime i connect between the two, a message pops up on the PC that has XP installed on it telling me that "The connection between the two computers is limited or "impossible"(am not sure though about the quoted word as the system's language is not english.The strange thing is that i am capable of accessing Win Me from XP but not vice versa.I have XP's firewall disabled for this connection.Anyone can help??

both PC's have Realtek RTL9139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC as their network adapter.

Thanks and Merry Chrsitmas... ;D
    « Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 11:24:40 AM by Gilgamesh21 »

GX1_Man

Re: CLAN between XPSP2
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:54:47 PM »
    WinME cannot understand or read NTFS file systems, which is probably what the XP machine is loaded with. You can check if not sure by selecting a drive and right clicking and choosing Properties on the XP box.  ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 01:14:08 AM »
    NT-based machines don't expose NTFS directly over NetBIOS.  You should still be able to access file shares normally.

First things to check are that both machines are in the same workgroup and have static IPs in the same subnet.  Read the networking FAQ (link in my signature) for more information.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:23:38 AM »
      Thanks Rob for your very helpful information about the Network connections..It solved the problem.The connection is normal now(no messages appear when the two PC's are connected).

Though am having a trouble with accessing shared drivers of the XP PC.Win Me didn't show the drivers when I opened "My Network Places".

what I did was to go to LAN Properties in XP and to change IP address manually to 192.168.1.1 with 255.255.255.0 as subnet.

On Win Me,I changed the IP to 192.168.1.2 (same subnet) ,then added 192.168.1.1 to DNS and Gateway.at this point,the message that used to appear on XP disappeared but I couldn't see any shared drivers on Win Me.I was only able to see Shared Folders.Is there anyway to solve it?

Just another little question,Win Me is asking me whenever i start or restart the PC to enter the username name,it is kinda useless since only one person uses this PC,this happened after i did the above changes?Is there anyway to stop it from asking me everytime?

thx

note:XP's drivers am sharing are in FAT32 format.