Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Web pages cant be loaded  (Read 4619 times)

Momo913

Web pages cant be loaded
« on: December 26, 2006, 09:18:28 PM »
I cant load my security software web page or any Chinese web pages or update my security software at home, but I could when I was away at Niagara falls and used the hotel network which was the last 2 days. I connect directly to the modem at home, and I used wireless connection at hotel. My friend who lives pretty far away is having the same problem. We use the same network service, which is Rogers Yahoo High Speed. I called the tech support, they said nothing is wrong with my connection... I used Bitdefender and spy sweeper checked my computer, there wasn't anything. I use Zone labs internet security suite and the homepage is zonelabs.com.

Actually, it started last Saturday, there was a time when i can not load any web pages, but after a while, it fixed itself. Except zonelabs.com. (I was able to load Chinese web pages back then). I googled, zonelab's internal server was down at that moment and I left the second day so....

What seems to be the problem, it's driving me crazy

BTW, my friend was having the same problem on Sat too.

When I tried to ping zonelabs.com, the computer gave me back my loop back adapter's IP address and request always timed out when I tried to ping any Chinese websites.

Also, some web pages can be loaded, but when I ping them, request timed out... Like CNN.com

My operating system is XP professional SP2

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Web pages cant be loaded
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 07:16:19 AM »
Search for a file called "HOSTS", somewhere under C:\Windows.  Copy the contents here.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Momo913

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 11:26:44 AM »
Okay, so I woke up this morning, reset my modem (Which I did several times yesterday), I can load zonelabs.com and update the security software now. However, still can not load any Chinese webpages.  :-? :-? :-?

Searched for file name "hosts" under folder C:\windows turned out 2 files. hosts and imhosts.sam, both are in folder c:\winders\system32\drivers\etc

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 03:43:43 PM »
Just the contents of the HOSTS file, please.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos