Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video memory  (Read 6438 times)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: video memory
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 10:15:25 AM »
Doesn't his Everest report clearly indicate he has a video card in a PCI slot:
--------[[highlight] PCI[/highlight] / AGP Video ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RS480) Video Adapter
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RS480) 3D Accelerator

--------[ GPU ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------

[ [highlight]PCI[/highlight]: ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RS480) Chipset ]

person135, for anybody who has fairly basic familiarity with computer hardware, a visual inspection would immediately confirm whether you have a PCI video card installed or not.  From my previous post:
If, indeed, your computer has onboard video but also you have a PCI video card installed, you should see two separate connectors on back of your computer for a monitor.  Can you verify that?  

Have you ever opened your computer?  Do you know what PCI slots and other types of slots (AGP, PCI Express, etc.) look like?

person135

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 11:14:25 AM »
No I have never opened my computer, because I never really felt it was necessary. But at a glance from the back, I only see one port for the monitor, and not two. I think it says PCI because I the primary video adapter in BIOS is set to PCI.

GX1_Man

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 11:19:17 AM »
The Everest report was so edited that we do not know the model number or the motherboard. Maybe if the WHOLE report were posted....

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 12:10:19 PM »
No I have never opened my computer, because I never really felt it was necessary. But at a glance from the back, I only see one port for the monitor, and not two. I think it says PCI because I the primary video adapter in BIOS is set to PCI.
What other options do you have in your BIOS settings for video?  Is "onboard" one of them?

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 01:06:36 PM »
Sometimes when you set it to PCI and you do not have a PCI adapter you get NO video and have to reset the BIOS. Other motherboards just default to what adapter IS actually present.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 01:08:13 PM by GX1_Man »

person135

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »
I only took out like 3 lines total. But I didn't know you wanted the whole report. Is that catalyst driver update good? I heard some bad stuff about catalyst using .NET.

GX1_Man

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2007, 03:13:26 PM »
The whole report would take several posts to include it all, not just 3 lines.