Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New wireless router won't load web pages.  (Read 3826 times)

Matt_Jones

New wireless router won't load web pages.
« on: December 30, 2006, 12:34:54 PM »
Hey all. Thanks for taking the time to read this..

Bascially here's my dilemma:

About a week ago my wireless was working fine with the internet, it was running at a good speed and i couldn't tell the difference in speed between using my wireless or my dial-up broadband modem.

I'm not sure what happened but suddenly whilst I was on it, it disconnected and refused to reconnect (possibly a power surge i guess).

Anyway i went to the shop and traded it in for a new one which is a "D-Link Wireless G ADSL 2/2+ DSL-G624T" with a wireless dongle "D-Link DWL-G122". This connected to each other fine and I set it up with it registering an internet connection.

>>>>>> Thats the background: Heres the current problem. Whenever i try and load web pages it tries to, then after taking such a long time it times out (on some small web pages such as a google search it will load). Now i know that the broadband is running at full speed as I tested it out by downloading a part of a file through "Steam" (CS Client) and that was running at around 58 kbps which is normal for my 512 kbps internet.

I was wondering why this is happening and what can be done to rectify the situiation as it means i basically can't surf the internet which as im sure you understand is driving me crazy.

Kind regards,
Matt

NB I just thought i'd add recently my Norton Internet Security started messing up so i tried to uninstall it but it sort of only partially did it. So i tried to reinstall over it and it wouldn't let me as it said that it was already installed. Now i was wondering if the fact that i have a weird corrupt version of this AV on my comp that it could be blocking my internet ( this happened between swapping in the routers and connecting the new one so it was perfect timing).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 12:39:05 PM by Matt_Jones »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: New wireless router won't load web pages.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 02:11:20 PM »
Your AV is fragged.  See Norton's website for detailed instructions on how to remove their virus.  Try AVG, Antivir or Avast free virus scanners instead.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Matt_Jones

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 09:43:15 AM »
Ok thanks my AV is sorted but anyone got any ideas on my wireless?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:46:59 AM »
Try a system restore to before this problem occured.  If that doesn't work, try rolling back the wireless drivers (through the device manager).  If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the drivers.  If that doesn't work, try doing a naked rain dance.  If that doesn't work, try converting to Zorasterianism.  If that doesn't work, come back here for further suggestions.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos