Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Sound  (Read 2021 times)

SML02

No Sound
« on: December 28, 2006, 01:33:14 PM »
My desktop has no sound at all.  I have installed a new sound card and drivers.  That has not helped.  I have gone to device manager and enabled the sound card and nothing.  I don't know what else to do.  Any Suggestions?

Thanks!!

Saviour

Re: No Sound
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 04:34:19 PM »
Assuming you are running Windows XP...since you haven't supplied any information on your system...which could help by the way...

Try using the Add/Remove Hardware feature in the Control panel and let Windows Search for the driver automatically.

If the driver is located somewhere on your computer, you can specify the path to the driver...whether it is located in another directory or on a CD.

When you stated you installed the driver(s)...was it from a download or an installation CD?

SML02

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »
Yes I am running XP and I loaded the drivers from the CD provided with the sound card.  I went to Add/Remove Hardware and that did not help.  It said "This device is working properly."  My computer is an HP and has one of those keyboards that has the volume control on the keyboard and that does nothing.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 06:27:13 PM »
You need to disable your onboard sound in the BIOS settings.  ;)

SML02

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 08:22:48 PM »
Ok, I went into my bios settings, but did not see onboard sound...what else can I look for?  

Serrik

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 09:30:55 AM »
I hate to interupt with a silly question but I see this all the time.

You have tried plugging in your speakers to the correct port?  For example, some sound cards have a green line out and a black line out, if you get no sound in the green it could mean the black is your primary, and vice versa.  Usually when I have seen this people have it plugged into the black when it should be plugged into the green.

SML02

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 11:45:28 AM »
Yes, I have tried every port on the back of my computer.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 05:04:03 PM »
What is the motherboard or computer make/model. What about the sound card? (We never did get this basic information.)

Does the sound card have a pale green port on it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:05:03 PM by GX1_Man »