Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem: Sharing Win2k Resources  (Read 3695 times)

bakura82

Problem: Sharing Win2k Resources
« on: January 01, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »
Problem: Sharing Win2k Resources

I have multiple XP systems that utilize the internet and share resources through a router.  I have recently added a Win2k system to the network and I am able to access the internet fine once I set it up with a valid IP.  Unfortunately I cannot see shared drives or resources on the Win2k machine from my XP machines nor can I access the XP machines from the Win2k machine.

I am sure Win2k is a wonderful OS for complex networks, however, it is over kill for me and I can’t get this whole permissions, sharing, security, and etc thing to work it seems.

I have set the Win2k machine to the same workgroup as my other PC’s.  The XP PC’s are DHCPing 192.168.1.1xx addresses with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1.  I set the Win2k machine to use the static IP of 192.168.1.100 with the same subnet, gateway, and a DNS server of 192.168.1.1.

The only components installed with the Win2k Network Connection are: Client for windows..., File and print sharing..., and TCP/IP.  At this point, on XP machines, you should see each other (without the additional sharing/security settings).

I have tried various settings to allow for the Win2k and XP machines to see each other, but none has worked.  Rather than tell you what I have done, I would rather just do it from scratch correctly.

By the way, while I don’t think NetBEUI is needed unless you are using a pre-Win2k Windows OS, I turned it on for giggles.  I did notice that the workgroup now listed my XP machine, however, when I connect I get the “network path was not found” error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Esteban

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Problem: Sharing Win2k Resources
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:51:48 AM »
First question: is there a firewall enabled on the Win2k machine?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos